Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just scored a 60's Classic J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey guys...

I know some of you may have seen the two 60's jazzes on ebay, a white and black one put up by the same seller. I just picked up the white one! I played one of these and thought it was excellent. I've got a spare set of NJ4SE's hanging around which will go straight into it. This will be an experiment for me...the first Fender I've had since I was 17, and the first bass I've ever got off the evil-bay....

W

2. Yeah, that was a good deal. I got a burgundy mist one with DiMarzio Ultra J's and I like it a lot.
    [​IMG]

3. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I had my eye on those two..too.

I just got a new 60's J about two weeks ago. I love this bass! I think it is just about as good as the 62 RI I had 10 years ago! This bass is not built cheap by any means (some tend to think the MIM basses are not built as well as the MIA or MIJ basses). This is one solid bass. The fit and finish are perfect and I love the fact there is no swiming pool route under the pickguard (good if you want to take it off). As far as sound, I am not changing a thing! This sucker sounds awesome through my SWR system.

In fact, I have been playing with the idea of getting a second one and turn it into a fretless!

Good luck with yours! I know you'll enjoy it!

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks guys, both of your experiences with these basses helped me decide to take the plunge. Funky, I dig your burgundy mist! I've seen those around, very nice. I have an extra set of NJ4SE's to put in to this one. I figured if these basses were good enough for the FC (and Vanselus), they were OK! I will update this thread when it arrives.

Will

5. I traded for a sunburst a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. The neck is to die for. I'd like to get ahold of one of these necks to put on my P bass. My only gripe might be the typical single coil hum. I've thought about replacing the pups with something hum-cancelling, but it sounds so good that I hate to screw with it. Nice and grrrrrowly!

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I haven't heard anything bad about these, which is nice. As I said, I've got a spare set of Nordstrand hum-cancellers to put in. They are my favorite pickups and should take it a notch up, I hope!