Just scored a Heir fretless 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larrytron, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Yes! a MTD Heir Fretless 5,exactly the one TB'er Jacochops used to own.
    I bought it from Brian Barret ,The Low End, he's great man to deal with.
    I was first about getting a JP, but I had hard times and I needed a fretless for a musical projectI'm starting with friends.
    This one was cheap :400$, in France we call that a steal because a new MTD heir 5 goes for at least 1000 euros(1250$)
    It hard to believe the bass is used there are not any scratch even on the fretboard. might be because it has been leveled by Carey Nordstrand.
    The bass plays very well, I didn't notice it was a 35".
    here are the specs:
    - Basswood Body
    - Flame Maple Top and Matching Peghead
    - Alnico MM and J Style Pickups
    - Lined Phenolic Fingerboard
    - 35 Inch Scale
    - Buzz Feiten Tuning System
    The sound is great, the MM litterally roars through my GK rig. And the bass cut through perfectly, I used it on a gig last saturday.
    You can find pictures here:http://accessbass.com/HeirFretless.html
  2. Mmm, I want one of those badly. That thing looks beautiful. I'm very jealous. :cool:
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, that bass is going to have an interesting life - it began as possibly mine, but wound up for stock and now it's going to Europe- kiss it for me when it arrives! and congrats! - A
  4. I love the lines on that. The upper horn is a very cool, yet subtle tobias hint. Can the back MM pup be made to give a singel coil sound? Pickguard shape is cool.
  5. i can already french kiss the beauty!!!:D It arrived several days ago!

To angelopb,
    the MM pup cannot be splitted but an upgrade could be useful because the jazz pup output is much lower than the MM.
    For the moment, i only use the MM pup and like the way it sounds so i don't really plan to do it.
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Grats.. I was looking at that one myself to replace the Jaco fretless I'm trying to sell, until I realized I don't play fretless enough to justify it. Grats on the sweet bass man
  7. Thanks man!
  8. That thing is making me miss my old heir. Mine was fretted, and I really liked it. I just decided that it wasn't the one for me. Have fun with it, man.
  9. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Very sweet looking. Phenolic fingerboard... manmade material? If it wears better than wood, I suppose I wouldn't complain :). Very sharp.
  10. Basho

Basho Guest

That is a VERY beautiful bass. Félicitations!
  11. Merci, mon ami!:cool:

this bass is really a pleasure to play. And with the fretlines, it really helps to get into the fretless world.
  12. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I've got a Kingston fretless 5. That looks wicked nice....What's the sound like? Can you compare to a Kingston?
  13. Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    I love that burst finish.
  14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Nice looking bass, Enjoy!!
  15. I've never put my hands on a kingston, so I can't compare. I've played MTD535 but it wasn't the same world.:rolleyes:
    If everthing goes right you should be able to listen to a soundclip soon.
  16. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    That sounds really nice...With just the MM pup it sounds very similar to my Kingston. How different is the sound with both pups running?
  17. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Nice playing and sound, larrytron. Which strings you have there?
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I needed a fretless all of the sudden, thats probably what Id get.
  19. When played with both pickups the sound is more like a full Jazz Bass sound. With more low end but less punchy and midly. A great sound also. I'll probably make a miniclip to figure out. A sound is hard to describe.

For the strings... I don't have any idea. i 'll ask Brian Barret, he may know.