Just scored a Sunn 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickelseye, May 17, 2004.

1. I was out of town this weekend and went to a music store and found a new old stock Sunn 300T ! I was in shock, it was like a dream. The employee was a little shocked that I wanted to hear it. It was somewhat buried, had a few amps on top...we dug it out, the vinyl was a little scratched on top, but other then that it was obviously still new. The employee confirmed that they received it from Fender (some time ago) and it had never been sold. We hooked it up to a SWR Goliath III and SOB...I have a similar combo (goliath jr III + sob), waited for the tubes to warm up and selected a Fender jazz. Man what an awesome tone! So ballsy, yet clean. I've heard a 300t awhile back, but I kinda forgot how good it really sounded. I checked out all the featues of the amp, made sure everything worked...I probably played it for 45 min. Then I decided I wanted it...at any price. We dealed back and forth and I believe I got it for a very fair price. Then after the purchase, the employee goes in the back room and comes back with the manual, footswitch (sealed!) and a Sunn speaker cable! I thought the cable was a nice touch. I'm pretty stoked about finding this amp...I'm sure the store is even more excited to get rid of it, so I guess it's a good deal all around.

Does anyone know when Fender pulled the plug on Sunn?
  2. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I've actually been very interested in this amp lately, but it seems I'm having a hard time finding one. I can't wait until I do though. What does this amp spec out at? And what is the likely hood that I'll find one in the near future?

3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Just wondering how these stacked up against vintage SVT's? I have heard that the person responsible for the design of the SVT also designed the Sunn 300T as an "upgraded" SVT. Anybody ever A/B these monsters?
  4. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Thanks Happy MurphDay!
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think within the last few years they dropped the Sunn name and started selling the same amp as the Fender Bassman 300T. They might still make it...
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    What an amazing find...its hard to beat the tubes eh? Congrats on your purchase!!!
  7. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    I dont know if you trust ebay or whatever, but i figured i could help, it looks like its in pretty good condition...
  8. I had both at the same time. I have three SVT's and the Sunn went packing, not even close. BTW, Bill Hughes' name does not a good amp make.
  9. Your opinion of course. ;) I've tried SVT's and they weren't for me...to each their own. :cool:
  10. Thanks! Tubes rock, this amp is very musical.
  11. Yep, although the first four I tried blew up on the showroom floor and three of them were new. Doesn't really matter what an amp sounds like if it catches fire when you try to play through it.
  12. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Well, mine hasn't done the pyro trick yet! Nice amp and delivers great tone - glad you find one. Found mine in the exact same way buried in the back of the store.

Had someone offer me an older SVT but it was more than I could afford.

Sunn does it for me!
  13. Well hopefully mine won't go up in flames! Psycho, about the amps you tested...were they all from the same dealer? If so, maybe there was a problem during shipment? It's unusual that 4 amps blew in the store. Regardless, that would definetly turn me away from any brand.

I'm loving the tone so far...it sounds incredible through my Aguilar GS212. That said, I haven't decided if it's a keeper or not. Tone wise, it's the best sounding amp I've heard. But the weight is already getting to me! So it may be available if anyone is interested.
  14. Nope; three different stores in two different towns. When I found the one I bought, it was mostly just because it did run without problems. There were evidently some MAJOR problems with the first run of them that Fender wanted covered up. That was confirmed to me by more than one of their dealers. One of their former reps even threatened to sue me to shut me up for publicizing my experiences with the amp.

FWIW, it looked a like tube problem more than anything. The amp has those crappy "bias indicators" and they stayed in the red the whole time I had mine, but it was fine on the scope, and the tubes never cherryplated. In the end for me, the amp was too big and too heavy to justify keeping for its level of performance. I could only get one decent tone out of it, and I was never happy with the volume. The guy who bought it LOVES it, so to each his own.
  15. Congratulations! I love my Fender Bassman 300, but I do wish I'd gotten one with the sunn logo on it.

16. Alright!
    Good amp.
    I have had mine for almost 2 years and still works perfect.
  17. Bummer about the bad luck with the 300T Psycho. It's very hard to like a brand if you experience problems with it.

Aaron, funny I kinda wanted the Fender Bassman!

1tall, glad to hear the Sunn has been problem free...same tubes?

We should start a Sunn/Fender 300 club and compare settings. Have anyone tried the settings from Mr. Gearhead?
  18. I love my Sunn 300T. I got it off ebay and have had no regrets. I got a little worried reading about Phsycos problems. Its interesting that the indicator lamps lit red all the time mine are green unless its on stanby or have the tubes removed. You must have had that first batch that was bad. Maybe a fifth will sound better.It has served many gig and I gladly trade the weight for tone. I would enjoy an AB test with an SVT. I would guess the tone is comparable but certainly not the same. And the Sunn has more controls if you want. The only troubles Ive had is from not carfully setting up the controls before the band starts. I have realised my mistakes when I hit the pedal. :eyebrow: As for setting I usually use the clean channel flat. I set the 2nd channel with Just a hint of distortion. The EQ I scoop so it there if I want it. I use the compressor as a bass boost.
    Oh Yeah
    Modulus Quantum 5 or The PJ I built into EV15b 115 or JBL e140 215 cabs.