Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just scored an Ashbory!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eli, Nov 25, 2000.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Got it second-hand, but it's the newest series. My seller used it for a bit but bills are pressing, so I got it.

So. First reaction: this thing is COOL. I've always said my ideal bass tone would sound like a soaking wet 800-pound bumblebee -- big, sprwaling, loose, splattery -- and the Ashbory does that. It seems to have the delayed swell signature of a string bass, too. It is also quite deep-toned -- more so than my Carvin fretless, although the output signal isn't as hot. I can get plenty of treble out of it, but it sounds better to my ear with the treble down at around 6, bass full open. The E string is a little muffled, but I can feel some wear lumps on it so I'll file another report after my strings come and I play a gig with it. We have a few walking songs and I'm definitely going to try it out.

Another thing that surprised me when I first picked this thing up was the fit and finish of it. Honestly, I was expecting a canoe paddle with fret lines painted on it, but the neck is shaped very nicely and the fret lines and fretboard markers appear to be inlaid and then covered in the clear gloss finish, and the neck edges are bound. The fret markings are accurate all the way up the full 24 frets, which I also didn't expect. (Though I do have to switch to a finger per TWO frets, like a violin, in the upper octave.)

The whole thing speaks considerably more quality than I expected, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I might have bought it even if it hadn't been this nice, but it's icing on the cake.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hey congrats! :cool:

I think an Ashbory is going on my Christmas list.

3. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Ashbory has a bottom end that just won't quit. I've had mine for just over a year now. When they first see it, people can't believe that such a tiny instrument can get such a big sound.
    Make sure you keep some talc on had for the strings; it improves the tone and playability.

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I already have a little clear plastic container with a screw-on lid to keep the powder in.

Just hope everyone realizes what kind of powder it is.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    snip::and fretboard markers appear to be inlaid and then covered in the clear gloss finish, end snip::

No offense but from what the guy @ the dealer told me & i've read the board is plastic screen printed with the lines & dots on it. The guy thought that the board was plastic & that the body was some sort of plastic can u tell me if this is true or not? This won't influence my decision that i am gonna order one. In appox. 1-3 weeks if things go as planned i'll place my order via fax to MF. Thats all

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Upon close inspection I can verify that the fingerboard dots are indeed inlaid (though they may be metallic foil discs), and the fretlines sure look inlaid -- though one of the fretlines actually runs through part of the fingerboard binding, suggesting that the binding was NOT the last step in the manufacture.

And I took off the rear electronics cover to detemine wood/plastic body, and the black shielding paint is so completely applied that no base material is visible. And I have to admit that I can't tell from thumping the body, though I am leaning towards plastic.

In any event, the clear finish (poly, I imagine) is VERY deep on the fingerboard, giving a fairly rich look.

In short, I still like it.

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Scored?? According to the Official Bass Player Rule Book, purchasing an Ashbory is a 15-yard penalty...:D

I got to goof around with one of those little buggers when I was back in the States, and it was loads of fun. I didn't have the benefit of powder (and my fretless skills stink), but it was still neat-o. It's amazing something so small can sound so big.

And FJC, they make great stocking stuffers!

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Not small enough to fit in my stocking unless if i get one of those huge ones. :) Actually what i'm gonna do is have it delivered to my dads house & have my dad leave it in the box [ordering from MF] & put it on my bed, if any one touches it while i'm not there or while i'm there i'm gonna hunt them down & kill them with my own 2 hands. ;) A good thing about getting one @ my dads [take it back & forth] is that theres an Ashbory/DeArmond/Fender Dealer about 20mins away which stock the strings @ about $20-25 a set. Thats all

10. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The strings are only $15 from Musician's friend; 'course, you gotta pay shipping too.

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I forgot to ask What color did ya get? Blue,Red,Black?

12. Ned

Ned

Jan 27, 2000
    Those Ashburys sure lok cool, and I haven't played one, but everyone seems to think they sound good, but it looks like they would be hard to balance. Is there a problem with neck dive or anything?

13. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I got black, which is the color I really wanted anyway.

Regarding neck dive: Yeah, they do. Horribly, to the extent that you're really supporting the neck constantly with your left hand.

But my seller solved this with help from an unexpected source: Rick Turner!! Apparently, a few of Turner's bass designs are a bit neck heavy. He has sent out to his customers some steel bars to fix the problem. This bar is maybe 8 inches long with 3 holes, one at each end and one in the middle. The middle hole goes where the original strap button was on the back of the instrument, one end bolts into the back of the bass body, and the other end has a strap button on it. Installing it on a Turner bass has the effect of moving the strap button closer to the headstock, improving the balance. Well, it works the same for an Ashbory! For some reason or another, Turner sent my seller one more of these than he neede, so he drilled a hol in the middle of the Ashbory's back cavity cover plate, and voila -- a balanced Ashbory!

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm 99% sure i'm gonna get the moon blue. On the balance i tend to anchor my thumb somewhere on the bass so the neck dive is something i don't notice that much. I mean just to get enough weight on my shoulder i press down on side of it,i anchor my thumb on my jazz pickus or body depending on where i want to play @. thats all

15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, considering that the only pickup on this thing is in the bridge, your method may or may not work. I'll be happy to post exact dimensions of the retrofit bar if you like.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Since it so small from the e string to the side it works, to play the other strings i either just stretch or move my thumb to the bridge works for me but might not be your style. Thats all

17. MOON BLUE DEARMAND ASBORY 4 SALE
    250. W GIGBAG
    WILL SPLIT SHIPPING IN 48 U.S.
    DAN
    215 794 0717
    OR EMAIL
    sidewalksoup@att.net

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Fuzbot-the deal is tempting but dad won't let me buy anything from people over the internet. Thats all

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Small Update, yesterday went to IRC [fender,guild,dearmond lots other dealer] they matched MF price so i should have it by latest Late December-Jan. @ earliest 2 weeks. thats all

20. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    PLayed the weekend with the Ashbory. Not the whole gig, just a half-dozen songs. So....

The tone is GREAT -- big, warm lows. The lower strings sound kind of muffled and wooly solo, but sit wonderfully in the mix with the rest of the band. And the D and G string (G especially) actually kind of bark nicely for solos, so I took some. (no kidding... :) ) In fact, it's so bottomy without being boomy that I had to boost the bass on my Carvins to fill the space that the Ashbory had carved out.

It walks very nicely, with a bit of that slight bloom delay that URB's do. For sure, I had to settle down and concentrate on intonation -- this thing is SHORT -- and I had to pluck fairly gently because the string tension is like wet spaghetti, so I really had to play it like the different beast that it is. And the baby powder thing means you do get powder on the strings of your OTHER basses; that's not perfect.

But all in all, WAY worth the $180 I paid for it.