1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just Scored an Old BB (Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Apr 23, 2009.

1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    That looks alot like my old Yamaha BB1000s. Nearly identical to the classic BB2000, except the BB1000s had a Rosewood board with dots instead of the Ebony Board with elipses. Also, the bridge pickup had poles instead of a rail.

One of my favorite basses of all time. I had both fretted and fretless BB1000s that I played from 1983 to 2003. Sold them both back in 2004 or so when I forever went to short scale basses. Maybe that is my old bass!

Congratulations on your new acquisition. That is an excellent bass. Enjoy.

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That is awesome! I am very jealous. :spit: ;)

I love the old Yamahas. I had a friend with an old BB5000A that just sounded incredible. I own a BB1500A which was a crossover model between the old BBs and the TRBs. Old BB shape, new TRB electronics. It is killer.

3. Wow! Nice! Love the color and the reverse P pickup.

4. sweet bass, love the sunburst:bassist:

5. There was a BB2000 at a local pawn shop last year. Someone had defretted it and it was a mess. I probably should have bought it for the pups or fixed it up but it was rough :(

6. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    It is a BB1000s - correct?

7. Yes. What does the S stand for??

8. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Wrong! :ninja: that my friend, is what i call a SCORE!

Congrats to the Knife Maker

9. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I wish I knew. All the vintage BB basses seemed to have it (1000s/1100s/1600s/2000s).

I was really disappointed when Yamaha released the Michael Anthony bass and called it a BB1000MA. Most people just dropped the initials and started calling the re-issued bass the BB1000.

The original BB1000s is a CLASSIC underrated bass that sounds amazing live and in the studio. The rosewood board makes it a little warmer and a little more foregiving to my ear than the BB2000 (which I have also owned and gigged). I always preferred the sound of a rosewood board over an ebony board. The rail pickup at the bridge on the BB2000 was a little hotter and better for jazz/Jaco type soloing. But the pole pickups on the BB1000s were just right for Motown/Slap.

10. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I think you are confusing the BB1000MA and BB1000s. See above post. As the original poster acknowledges, this IS a BB1000s we are talking about. (But, Yes, it is certainly a SCORE!)

11. Is the MA edition a neck thru?? :eyebrow: I always thought it was a bolt on. I guess I never paid attention :confused:

12. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've seen a few of those old BBs here and there, and have always been curious; how wide are they at the nut?

...I feel like a broken record; I seem to spend most of my bass-hunting life asking that question, over and over.

13. I don't know exactly what they measure but they are not QUITE as wide as a standard P and have a flatter neck profile than a C shape Fender neck............ IIRC :eyebrow:

14. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Awesome score! I was watching that bass on ebay but didn't have the scratch. Looks like it has been extremely well taken care of. Those bridges are built like tanks and you're correct...the necks are pure magic! Enjoy that beauty!

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow, nice price!!!!

16. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I bought mine in December of 1981 used in NYC brought it home from tour and had John Carruthers put in EMG PJs...

I still own my BB1200 Natural and had one just like that Cherry burst...... :cool:

They sound amazing with EMG's... It will blow your mind... You'll see why they were know as the P killer... Leland Sklar & Paul McCartney played them :cool:

I still use mine on sessions or live when they ask for a 4 string P or J... Producers and engineers always comment that it's the best sounding Fender they've ever heard... Just turn around when you tune and they'll never know it's not a Fender.... :cool:

17. :D It's a bear market! Late last year, I swore I wouldn't buy anymore basses. I have two others 5ers in the works as well :confused: I'll probably be posting a few for sale in the near future. My office is getting crowded again :rolleyes:

I appreciate the info and feedback. I can't wait to plug it in.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Knifemaker, that is a BB2000, not a BB1000. If you ever want to sell it in the future, let me know. I can't do it this minute, but in the future, I would be willing to stretch and get tha bad boy from you.;)

19. :eyebrow:

yamaha015.