Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just scored an SWR Grand Prix for cheap...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Jun 16, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    my new pre

She's a little crippled, but can be nursed back to health. For $160 I'll do the work.

Now I need a power amp and cab. I've been offered a Genz Benz 112T for $200 shipped, which might be a good start until the dough for the 4x10's arrives...:D

2. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    How's the sound of the SWR Grand Prix Preamp? I always wanna get one of this unit for my weapon! But I have never check one out before, so I want to know the sound, and the difference between this unit and SWR SM-900 head except that 900W power! is that a same preamp? Thanks!

3. hr_bert

hr_bert

Jun 5, 2003
    austria, linz
    i played swr grand prix / crest audio fa 901 bridged into swr goliath II....
    basses: fender jazz 78 (aguilar op1 preamp on board - heussel pu), fender jb 5 string (91)
    it has been a killer slapsound, clear, if needed loud....but i always missed the "pressure" of the preamp/cab specially when i played the fingerstyle things (no slapping)...it has been extremly perfect when you stand within 1 or 2 meters in front of the cab but it has never really penetreted the whole sound in a homogen way...!!!!!!
    now i searched and "found" following:
    eden navigator /same amp (crest fa901) and eden 410 xlt....there a huge difference. i never got the swr rig to be "clear and transparent in the band"....don't no why

now - with the eden thing my bandmembers are very exited. they love the sound. great attack - perfect sound (more or less everything on the eq part is set to "flat"). its a real killer thing...
    thats my experience with swr and eden....
    btw: i still like swr considering that i also bought the grand prix very cheap (the value for money seems to be absolutley ok) but in the future i will go with eden cause i like that thing
    herbert

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Awesome preamp! I run an '87 Warwick Streamer into it, then used to go into a Mackie M1400 into two Acme Low-B2 cabs. The Mackie's being replaced by a QSC PLX 3002, more power and lighter, but I'm sticking with the GP despite all the fancy new preamps around, I just love how it works with my bass.

Alex

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The SM-900 has two switchable 3-band mid EQ sections in addition to bass and treble EQ; the Grand Prix has one 2-band mid EQ section. The preamps sound pretty much the same, but obviously you get way more EQ tweakability with the 900...if you need it.

Check out the SWR web site for full info on the two units (you'll find the Grand Prix under "vintage products").

6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks guys! It's getting shipped out tomorrow.

Any suggestions on a place to get replacement input jacks? Are they surface mount?

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Contact SWR service, they can take parts orders by credit card.

They're PC mounted jacks but through-hole, not surface mount.