1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just Scored This Fender Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 60bass, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I just picked this used MIM Precision Bass Special with an SKB Freedom case tonight. Paid just a shade over $300.00 which I thought was a fair price.

Made in 00 and BADLY in need of a good cleaning and a setup. It has a few battle scars and a loose tone pot, but the bass is solid and a decent player even with all the grime and the dead strings.

I always wanted one of these as I like the combo of a P body with a J neck. Plus the fact that the older ones are passive makes it all the sweeter for me at least. Never owned a P/J pickup combo on a P bass before so I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned and new strings. I've heard these have the USA PU's in them so it should sound good.

A new BAII with grooved saddles is just gathering dust in my parts stash right now .... guess where it's going this weekend ;)

Have a look. You can see in the pictures how bad this thing needs cleaned.

mim1.

mim4.

mim7.

Keep Low :bassist:

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i owned one just like that passive and all but in black! 2 years ago i was 17 and needed a car tarded it off to a guy for a dumpy s10 ot ran tho haha i put a badass 2 on it as well

that thing is dirty for sure but a good price

i just got a 1994 MIM precison squier series for 80$ today it was dirty than that rusted strings and 12 stickers spent two hours cleaning and the body actualliy in great shape it looks new now sounds great!

still good deals out there yet!

i sold my gold pick guard off my p special i wish i did not i like the look now

3. i kinda like the grime. good call on the other bridge.. this one looks all kinds of weak.

cool colors.

4. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    LCW

$80 is a great price, you did good on that one.

What did you use to get the sticker residue off the bass? Sometimes that can be a real PIA to remove.

5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    The grime would be OK if it was "my" grime. However the fretboard is really dirty. I need to get it cleaned up so I can get a nice coat of linseed oil on it, then a decent setup.

The bridge is a Fender vintage style with the vintage saddles. It's decent enough but since I already have the BAII, well you know, I can't let just sit there in my parts bin :)

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    At first i disassembled the whole bass i squirted windex on the body and let it soak an hour. All the stickers came off and then i used some WD40 to finish it off. I believe there was at least 12 stickers , but they protected the paint and now it looks great just gotta put a tort guard on it. I know my cleaning method is not great for old nirto but on poly this thick its fine.

I got the bass cuz i was walking to band practice carrying my bass and some guy said hey kid i got a bass in my truck and pulled it out rusty strings and all he said 100$ and i offered 80$ and got it.

anyways post pics after you get the bridge and clean her up :bassist:

7. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Windex and WD40 - the wonder cleaners! You can toss just about anything on poly and it still looks decent afterwards. Great bass story on your purchase :)

I'll get some pics up after I get the P cleaned up.

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    oh it was an epic day

but yeah my cleaning products are windex , WD40 , tooth brush and lemon oil all takin from my parents cabinet which i dont think there amused with

okay sweet i look forward to pics i love those models i want another

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    P + J w/J neck = very cool

$300 for a used mim fender... too much, if you ask me... but if you're happy with it, then rock on!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to disagree, that bass is in pretty good shape, I would have been willing to go up to $375. Given new Fender prices, even $400 would be a steal!:eek:

11. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Price was a little high but ever since Fender raised their pricing the used market has gone up too. It's slim pickins in my area right now for used basses and gear in general. Which sucks. Picked it up off CL. Right now here it's either cheap stuff not worth the price or vintage stuff people are trying to sell to turn some cash. Not too much middle of the road stuff.

I had around $300.00 to work with. Couldn't find anything here new in that price range that I liked. Tried out a Squier Classic Vibe 60's P bass as I already own the Jazz bass version. It was nice but didn't think it was $350.00 nice. I also tried one of those Ibanez Jet Kings on clearance at GC for $274.00 good price but just wasn't doing it for me.

6 months ago the MIM would have been probably $250 to $275, the times they are a changin.

She should be a great player when I get her fixed up.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think you got a good deal, especially since it came with a nice HSC and USA pickups.

That's one of the few red basses/guitars I've seen that I like. Most usually have a white p/g and just look like beginner's stuff (to me), but the gold 'guard and rw fretboard go well with the red.

Edit: I don't believe I've ever seen a gold anodized p/g without holes for the pickup cover and tug bar. Is that an original p/g?

13. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    GlennW

That gold anodized guard was standard on these basses and in my opinion WAY better than the wierd soft plastic one that comes on the new MIM active P deluxe basses.

I also have a very old gold anodized guard that does have the holes for PU cover and thumb rest. Hmm .... I might toss that on there just for fun. The 50's series P's that were made MIM for awhile also used those anodized guards.

That color is what they called Chrome Red, looks alot like Candy Apple Red to me. I agree that a white PG would be disaster on there. Maybe a white pearloid might look OK. Black probably would work. If it was the old Dakota Red, go with tort for that Pino look. Seemed like Fender always used white on the custom colors. They even used white on Oly white. With Oly White, IMO red tort is the only way to go.

14. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I was just now at GC grabbing a set of Roto's to put on the bass. They had a Geddy Jazz in there for I think $1,100 on sale OUCH. Weren't those basses $649.00 when they came out? Fender has gone crazy. Sorry Fender, the standard MIM's are nice basses but I just can't justify a price over $600.00 for one of those and you still have to buy a case or bag.

Glad I got my 08 P before the increase, on sale and paid way less than a grand for it.

15. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    ugh i regret selling my gold gaurd for 5$ to a friend it was in my truck at school and he said all give you 5 bucks for it and i took it:rollno:

anyways if you want to get rid of that guard at some point let me know

16. I have the exact same bass; I bought it new @ 499, back around 1999. I've played it a bunch, & it still looks good (IMO) how your seller dirtied it up as much as it was is a ???...

...anyway, the gold guard was the 1 thing I wasn't crazy about, & about a year ago I changed it to a silver pearloid guard I found on ebay. I really like the way this looks, & it goes well with the music I play: hard classic rock:

17. Nice, we NEED pictures after you clean it up and change the bridge.

18. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    I think you got a very good deal!

19. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Looks really good with that guard :)

20. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Well took a couple of hours last night and cleaned her up and tossed on the BAII. Looking pretty good now with the new bridge and the neck cleaned and oiled up with some boiled Linseed oil on it. The ding in the upper horn really stands out now that the bass is cleaned up.

Date on the back of the PG is 11/07/2000. Haven't pulled the neck yet but probably will soon.

The nut needs a tiny bit of filing to fit the .105 E string on my Roto's and there's some minor buzzing on the A and D strings, but no dead spots :) I'll do a quick level and crown on it anyway just so I can get the action slammed down low. I'm a low action freak and always have to work the frets on just about any bass I own, so it's no big deal.

So have a look now.

done1.

done3.

done2.