Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just sent for Bill Lawrence P and J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 3, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am just on the way out to drop a money order for Bill Lawrence P and J pick ups. I am taking a bit of a chance since i have never heard them but anything at this point would be better then the pick ups in my Schecter Model T. They are the Import line of Duncan and they really stink. So when i get the new ones in i will give you the heads up on them.:)

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You are in for a treat. I really enjoy the J-45s in my Carvin LB76.

Bill Lawrence's pickups seem to require good shielding. They won't hum, but in an unshielded bass, you may notice a buzzing sound.

The tone is worth it!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Could you just tell me what you think of your carvin i am thinking of getting one, i am hearing alot of mixed reviews.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I like my Carvins - I own 4 of them! They're well made and they're a real bargain for US made basses. The pickups are OK for most purposes, not bad, but not great either.

I've found that the older (mid-'90s and earlier) Carvin basses didn't really suit me for several reasons (electronics, balance, hardware durability). The new ones are much better in every respect.