Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just sent my deposit on....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedV, Apr 19, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    ...my DPCustom!! I am SO excited. I don't have any pics or anything right now, but I can give you guys the specs so here goes....

6 string fretted
    36" scale
    ash core
    burl maple wings with padauk stripes
    5 piece neck(maple/padauk/maple/padauk/maple)
    macassar ebony fretboard
    bare headstock(to see the padauk runners)
    my body design
    standard tuners
    17.5mm bridge
    1 Bartolini quadcoil
    3 way active/passive 9v preamp(Pbass, full humbucking, reverse Pbass)
    on/off switch for active electronics
    SKB case

Well, whadda ya guys think? Should she sound alright??:)

Dave has been an INCREDIBLE guy to work with...way more patient than pretty much anyone I've ever ordered anything from before.

I'm so excited about this bass and as soon as I have any pics I'll put them up on a small site.

Alex<-----overly excited:)

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Come on guys, I know you're looking at it...just give me opinions, insight...I'll go for anything right now:)

Anyway, here's a link(hopefully) to a crappy AOL page that just happens to host the sketch of my bass. Thanks!

DPCustom Sketch

Alex

3. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    that's cool lookin'. very carl thompson like. why just one pickup?

dave got my deposit a few weeks ago for my fretted 5 string. i can't wait :D

4. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    craigers2,
    Thanks man..I really like the design, just didn't wanna rip Carl's basses though...I really just liked the top horn and used that as a guideline.

I speced only one pickup cuz I'm a minimalist, you could say:) And being a quadcoil setup the way it will be, I should be able to get pretty close to any sound I want...from JBass, to PBass, and a fairly evil slap tone:)

BTW, if you don't mind me asking...what were the specs on your 5 and did Dave mention if the 14 week time frame should hold fairly true?

Alex

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Sounds great, but 6 string AND 36" scale? I sure hope you have huge hands...you gonna need them :)

6. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Brooks,
    Yeah, I suppose I was BORN to play bass. I have huge hands and long slender fingers.

The last six string I played was a 35" and still felt a touch small:)

Alex

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was thinking the same thing. In the new BP, Anthony Jackson was even saying that he is having a new Fodera made that is 34" scale because the 36" scale has messed his hands up.

I'm still a big proponent of wood choices for low B clarity as opposed to increased scale length, personally. My purpleheart necked Curbow 6 has plenty of low B tone and tightness, and it's only 34" scale. I'm sure JT is perfectly happy with his low B and low F#, and they are both 34" scale, too.

But, your idea looks pretty cool. If you are set on 36" scale, more power to ya! I just hope you don't end up hurting yourself--nothing would be worse than a new custom bass that you can't play without injuring yourself.

9. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    35" fretted 5-string
    "standard" body shape
    burl maple top over mahagony body
    5 piece neck (maple, wenge)
    hipshot bridge & tuners
    bartolini quad pickups

as far as the time frame, dave said it should be right around that 14-16 week period. i told him not to rush anything :D

10. Looks like a fun design! Wow - 36" scale! I've found it challenging to go from 34" to 35".

The one thing I would challenge is around your expectation with the one pickup. According to some great luthiers I am familiar with, one very important design consideration to get "J" or "P" tones is to put the pickups in the correct place on the body. I would be very surprised if just switching coils on one pickup would get you "J" and "P" sounds. I had 2 quad coils installed on my DP and the difference between coils is much more subtle than the difference between front and rear pickups. My bass sounds nothing like a traditional "J" or "P" - influenced I'm sure by the scale length, pickup placement, pickup design, electronics, wood choices and construction techniques, etc.

The only other advise I would give you is to be very specific with what you want.

Good luck on the project.
    Jeff

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

When I say big hands, I mean big hands. I'm about 6'5 with a 38" sleeve, so the stretch isn't what would hinder me. The 35" I played just still felt a little cramped to my hands, so we'll see how the 36" turns out.

I agree about not relyin on scale length for a good B. That's not why I did that. Hoefully my wood choices will offer a good balance between mellow and bright to allow a good clear B. And from what I've read, the tension on Dave's B strings are superb.

Michael Jewels,
    Glad to see someone who thinks like me:) I'm not trying to emulate a J and P sound exactly, just fairly close. I really don't want a lot of 'options' per se on the bass. I want to hear the bass, not the electronics as much. As long as I can get a mellow tone and still get a good growl, I'll be happy. Anything else I can dial in on the amp.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the design and layout of the bass. Now I just can't wait for some pics!!

Craigers2,
    Your bass sounds awesome. Have you gotten any progress pics yet?

Alex

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jumpin' Jimminy Crickets--6' 5 with a 38" sleeve?!? Heh. I think you'll be fine with the 36" scale. I didn't know you were a.....mutant. ;) I'm "just" 6' 2, but I can identify with the cramped feelings you are talking about.

You know-- you could always just strap an upright to your chest, and play that. Oh, wait, you aren't looking for a fretless.

:p

13. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I am currently also specing a bass (although by Modulus) that will have a single pickup. I haven't decided on what brand, but anyway... SINGLE PICKUP BASSES RULE. The bass I have in mind will have no controls save a passive tone knob as well. SIMPLICITY RULES.

14. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    dave told me that most of the 14-16 weeks is going to be waiting for him to complete basses he is currently building. he said there were also people waiting "in line" before me.

i'm guessing i won't get any progress pics for a while. that's ok. i guess i can wait.

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Just another bass in line ahead of mine!!!

I worked out my specs with Dave but I haven't gotten a deposit in to him yet.

It seems every day I wait, another TB'er get's specs and a deposit in to him!!!:mad:

I need to get off my butt.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds great! I had a 36" 6, and it was my favorite bass! Surprisingly comfortable...for people with huge hands like us. :)

What kind of bridge? You aren't getting a stock, generic bridge are you? With such a cool bass, it would be the weak link!

17. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    dave has to have a ton of orders right now. he has a nice little business.

18. Welcome to the club guys! Dave has built two of his basses for me and I am very happy with mine. 4 stringers both. Hey I am old school! I hope you are just as satisfied with yours.

19. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    do you have any pictures?

20. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yes, but do you have big feet?