1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just sent this fax to my doctor. Your input is appreciated.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Anyone ever experience these symptoms as described:

"Dr.,

I apologize for contacting you this way, but I am in Disney World on vacation and I would prefer to avoid using an emergency room in an unknown area.

Beginning last Sunday evening, it would appear that I have developed an immediate allergic re-action to some types of foods. I enjoy eating spicy foods, like chili which my wife made last Sunday. While eating that dinner last Sunday, my wife and I both noticed that the right lymph node in my neck swelled up. I suspected that it was from the new hot sauce that I was using that night, so I decided not to use it any longer. However, 2 days later I ate the leftovers and the same thing happened. It has also happened when I have eaten a sandwich with tomatoes on it, curried chicken with white rice, a Caesar salad, and a cob salad. The swelling eventually goes away, but I do worry about anaphylaxis, especially considering that I have this asthma condition. The common thread seems to be tomato and black pepper/peppers and spice; the spicier the food, the worse the re-action. I should also mention that back in the beginning of August, after eating a pizza from a new restaurant, I became very flush and felt like my face and ears were burning up. I suspected that perhaps it was the Niacin that I take, but I use the type where it doesn’t make you flush. I believed then that the sauce had crushed red pepper in it, due to its different taste. Anyway……….

I know you’re saying to just avoid those foods, but I do worry that perhaps there is something that I am not thinking of and maybe it’s not tomatoes or pepper at all but something else? Water, soda, beer, etc. have no effect, it just seems that as soon as any food with tomatoes or peppers touches my tongue, the swelling occurs.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this. If you could find 2 minutes in your day tomorrow to call me, I would greatly appreciate it and of course I would be happy to compensate your office for your time.

Thank you."

any TBers have any ideas? Thanks.

And yes I will go to a doctor ASAP, but help in the meantime is appreciated.

2. Tomatoes, potatoes and peppers are all in the same plant family. It could be that you have an allergy to that particular group of plants. I know that Nightshade (which is poisonous) is also in the same family. Check this out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Looks like you're allergic to some foods, the doctor will probably run some tests to find out exactly what you're allergic to and to what severity. Late onset isn't uncommon either I wasn't allergic to anything until i was 20 and went into anaphylaxic shock from some guacamole. Turned out that I was allergic to most fruits, but never had been before.

4. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I have no experience with the symptoms, but that was a well-worded fax that gave your doc plenty of information so when he or she calls back, it should be a productive conversation.

Continue to take care in the meantime.

Dan

5. Sounds like a trip to the allergist is in order. In the meantime avoid those foods, maybe even the niacin, don't panic and enjoy your vacation.

6. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Any sinus reaction? I'm guessing a slight allergic reaction as well...best to avoid those triggers until you can get confirmation.

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I have the same issues.

Just stay away from that sort of food, it's a developed allergy. i developed that allergy a couple years ago, and developed allergies to shellfish when I was about 13.

Makes jambeliyah and gumbo a painful experience. :p

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    yeah, I never knew tomatoes were in the same group as peppers. It's just so damn odd because it just happened out of no where and tomatoes and all peppers are my faves. just doesn't make sense to me............

9. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    no, but I am susceptible to sinucitis. I'm trying to avoid the triggers, but it seems pepper is in everything.

10. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    It helps if you take 25-50 mg of Diphenhydramine HCL before a meal, but it only masks the symptoms, and makes you a bit sleepy if you're not used to it.

Easiest recognizable brands are Benadryl, Tylenol PM, Simply Sleep, Advil PM, and Sudafed has some in it, but I prefer the wal-mart brand. Cheaper, more in a bottle.

It is multi-use, but it is generally branded as either an allergy reducer or sleep aide. I use it as both. But be very careful not to OD on it. You'll start tweaking at about 100-125 mg if you're not used to it, and you can begin hallucinating and have other negative side effects at 200-250 mg depending on your natural resistance and body mass. It can speed up dehydration, especially if you run the AC at home, can mess with breathing and heart rate, and some other negative stuff, headaches and such. Look it up if you want more info.

Kids sometimes use it to get high, which is why they drink cough syrup and stuff, though those have more than just antihistamines.

11. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    yeah, I've started taking Benadryl before eating now, I just gotta take it at least 30 minutes b4 food I guess.

12. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    30 min sounds right, that's about how long oral drugs take to enter your system...I used to take it for allergies too, but like Jimmy said, it'll make some people drowsy. Within an hour of taking one, I'd be passed out.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm so glad I'm not allergic to anything.

My room mate has allergies to seafood, eggs, and nuts, and recently been diagnosed with Celiax which means he can't eat Wheat, or Gluten.

Thank God.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. I don't know if they all do it this way, but here I had some of the same problems (not food related). The allergist drew a graph on my back with a marker. He then stuck me with a dozen or so needles containing the stuff I might be allergic to. The next day I went back so he could see how the different "squares" reacted. He was able to determine what the offending substance was. Gave me some seasonal allergy meds and off I went. (turns out for me it was pine pollen....in the Fall no less) My point is, they will probably run the same kind of test to narrow it down for you. Good luck!

15. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Good luck on the food thing. Honestly, I focused more on the fact that you're at Disney and I'm not. Did you get on the dining plan? Regardless, you can speak to the chef at any restaurant and discuss allergies. They are very willing to accommodate. I reccomed dinner at Ohana. Good food there.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Have you noticed any direct cause/effect relationship between eating these foods, and the swelling? It usually takes a while for lymph nodes to enlarge - more likely a virus than an allergy.

This is something that would be best evaluated by your doctor, so you should try to schedule an appointment. By feeling it and asking you a few more questions, he'll have a better idea of what's going on. In the mean time you might be best off not eating those foods that you suspect are causing you a problem, but continue to feel around your neck for that lymph node, or any other lumps.

If it makes you feel any better, a slightly enlarged lymph node is often considered normal, and many people have them.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I would not expect to hear back. If you need to talk to your doctor then you should call him/her rather than sending a message and expecting them to call you back. This is simply not how the large majority of docs operate. You will probably talk to and be advised by a nurse so don't be offended if you call and they don't put the doctor right on for you. Most doctors don't like to attempt to give medical advice or make diagnoses over phone. He/she will probably advise you to go to a local clinic or ER if you feel that it's something that needs to be handled immediately otherwise you'll probably be told to make an appointment. This is the position that doctors are put in here in this litigous country.

Best of luck with your issue.

bc

18. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Agreed. Disney also has on site medical care in case of emergencies, until actual in town medical care can make it.