1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just signed up for bass performance 101 with Berklee online... Help!?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by martyin3d, Oct 16, 2013.

1. martyin3d

martyin3d

Sep 7, 2013
    So after speaking with one of the student advisors I decided to go ahead and book myself on to the bass performance 101 course starting in January. If all goes well I think I'll stick with it and do the bass certificate.

I have a feeling that I'll probably be the newbie of the group but I'm really excited to push myself and see how far I come during the 12 weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has done the course and can offer any insight in to what I should be practicing before January? Or if anyone could just recommend some stuff based on the syllabus (http://online.berklee.edu/courses/bass-performance-101).

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm about 20 pages away from finishing the Hal Leonard bass method books.

I travel quite a lot so in person lessons have always been difficult for me and this just seems like it could be absolutely perfect. I know it's expensive but being able to get feedback from amazing instructors as well as a group of peers is something I'm really looking forward to. I just hope I can keep up!

I'll be sure to post my progress and thoughts on the course here too. :bassist:

2. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Congrats - I'll be interested in your experience as you go through it. As to your question - I think many of the actual instructors are within easy reach thru the new "ASK a PRO" thread here on TB...Post your question there.

3. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2013
    This is great news! I'm kind of in your boat too -- I've been working through the Hal Leonard books at my own slow pace, but I've been dreaming about taking that Berklee course when I get better. I'd be really interested to know where you are right now in terms of skills and how you're keeping up with the work once the course starts. Please post often! Thanks.

4. martyin3d

martyin3d

Sep 7, 2013
    I certainly will do! I'll make sure I post recordings of my playing regularly, if Berklee are ok with it I might just post my assignments here. I'll do a "before" recording too at some point so you can hear where I'm at now... This is going to be embarrassing :bag:

5. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Like "Wyld Stallyns" embarrassing?!

I promise that, whatever you play, my tape would be worse. Congrats on the course!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All the teachers at Berklee have their own forum in the Ask A Pro section. You should post that question there.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Like the Nike ad," Just Do It".
    A course of study is always good because it's helps you progress at
    an even pace. Knowing your scales thru out the neck is always a plus and the cycle of 4'ths
    is something they me bring up.
    Good luck & have fun.