Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just sold my First Bass ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Dec 12, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

:crying:

I just packed her up and took her to UPS ... the first bass I ever owned ... and now she's gone.

[​IMG]

The good news is that

1) I sold her for pretty much what I paid.
    2) She seems to be going to a good home
    3) She will help fund my next acquisition. (Which will be an unusual one to some folks.)

Nevertheless, the rack seems a bit strange without "the old reliable" sitting in it. :meh:

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    My God...that's shiny!

I don't plan on ever selling my first bass. It just has too sentimental value

3. Personally i dont plan on selling any of my basses, no matter what my financial situation. They are all for keeps, they're like family...

Hard-luck mate, but i hope the next will bring you as much joy

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I feel your pain but it will lessen with your next acquisition.
    What are you planning on getting??
    :eyebrow:

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...I've sold my first 2 basses...but the one I have now, I will never sell. My Kubicki, it really feels like "my" bass, and so, it's staying with me!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I sold my first 5 basses. Sentimental value means little to me.

7. Gee Dwayne, is there a P-Bass in your future? ;)

8. IotaNet

Ahhh ... yes and no.

I have come to the conclusion that I should have a Jazz and a Precision. Additionally, I'd like to have a 4 and a 5. Based on my needs and the type of music I play, those choices make the most sense to me.

I also have finally come to the conclusion that there is a REAL difference between entry-level and mid/upper level basses. I spent some time in GC last week and played a number of basses. When I got home, I could really tell the difference between the ones I played and the ones I own.

The reason I sold my Jazz is that I already have another Jazz -- which is my P-Bass Special. Technically, it's not a Jazz but it has dual SD Jazz Stack pickups and a Jazz-style neck, so while it looks like a P, it sounds/feels like a J. (You can read the details about that here)

I DO want/need the P-Bass sound but I also want/need some other sounds too. That's why (assuming I can find one at the right price), I am going to buy a Line-6 Variax. (and you can read my logic for THAT choice here)

Toward the middle of next year, I'll replace the P-Bass Special with a mid/upper level fiver. The candidates are ...

* A TBC 5-string with JJ pickups
    * A Fender American Jazz V
    * A Roscoe Beck V
    * A Marcus Miller V
    * A Valenti Custom

FWIW, the RBV and the Valenti are the leading candidates but I have plenty of time to figure that one out!

Feel free to chime in.

9. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Wooooo, go for the Valenti!

10. +1

11. Ive never sold my first bass and doubt i ever will, wouldnt get bugger all for it!

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sold my first bass about a month ago. Not a big sentimental person when it comes to possessions... my first bass served me well, and it taught me what to look for in my next. Same with every bass since then. I love seeing my own progression in ability as well as taste.

13. IotaNet

Very well put!

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Same here - I don't even remember my first couple of them, actually...

- georgestrings

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe im on numbers 6 and 7 right now, andi could name the first 5 i had easily.

16. I believe you have the prettiest first bass ever

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Bling bling!

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thats one heckuva first bass.

I don't plan on selling, but that may change when Rondo has the Stingray copies in stock - my parents say I have to sell one if I want another...

Problem is, one is green, and the other...well, its an SX so I don't really mind but it sounds good...

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I sold my first two basses I had, a cheapo knockoff brand bass and a Peavey T40.......I was young and stupid and practically gave away both.

After my 4 year bass playing break I think I would be hard pressed to sell my Jazz bass which is the first one I bought after starting playing again, but it's a lot nicer and plays better than the first two I had.

20. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    my first bass was a P/J Ibanez with a pointy headstock--I sold it when I was a senior in high school and bought a (very so-so) P bass. I wasn't sorry to see the Ibanez go. I had bought it when I was 14, if I had bought a half decent fender (or the 60's gibson eb-2 that was there!!!) I'd probably still have it. I think if you're never gonna use it you should let 'em go....
    from the stuff on your list, the roscoe beck 5 is nice, I 've liked every one I've ever played