Just spent a half hour with a Parker Fly Bass. Oh, my.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 22, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been resisting looking too hard at these, since there's absolutely no way in hell I can afford one if I fall for it.

But, tonight on the way home I stopped at a new location of a local store, and there it was hanging on the wall. A brand new, red quilt Parker Fly five.

I ignored it for as long as I could, then finally asked to see it.

Impressions: It was very light and well balanced, was finished impeccably (as befits a $2049 bass), and had a very flat fretboard. The neck is also very thin. Fast, very fast. I don't play fives, so I was a bit lost - but I think I like it. I'd have to play it more to really know, but I felt more at home on it than I have with other fives.

If they ever come out with a single humbucker model, I'm screwed.
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i played one at GC last week -with an amber curly maple top.
    Good tone though not my cup o' tea...
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I would like to try one, but I can never get past the looks.
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree with the above. Beautiful sounding guitars(if you like those schreeching weasel mimicrey machines:p ) but fugly as all sin:( .
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I met with a guy who owned a 5er, and I tried playing it a bit, but I could'nt really evaluate it enough, since it was a 5 string and was strung with flats. I played it sitting down, and the neck tilted upwards, which was odd, but standing up it had great balance.

I think it is one of the ugliest shaped things I have ever seen. I prefer the shape of their g*itars, but those are.....well, you know.

I think it would be neat if they made a 4 string that was shaped like their 6 string short scale models or something, and changed the headstock shape.
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I hope they'll do a carved top version eventually...
    or then again, maybe I don't. I don't need the temptation!

It was nice, eh?
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If tone and playability were da bomb, I could get past the look. That said, it looked to me like the fivers had narrow spacing which I can't deal with.
  8. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I played one at namm... not my fav, plus if the guy had been any nicer to me, he could have upgraded to dickhead...
  9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Very. However, I don't know if I would want another J + J bass - as I said in an email to Parker last night, make a single humbucker model and I'm there. The tone wasn't bad for a J + J (they are Ultra Jazzes, after all), but give me rumble! Even better, a pair of HBs like an L-2000.
  10. mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    I played a Parker maybe a month ago, my impressions were a bit inconsistent.

First, I thought the bass looked a lot better in person than it does in pictures.

It felt nice, it was fast, I thought the tone was a bit lacking. Somewhat thin and trebly, even when I fiddled quite a bit with the tone. This could be a matter of personal preference though.

The one thing that did bum me out was a rather annoying dead spot on the 12th fret of the G string.

Good bass overall, but I'm still planning on another Zon for my next one.
  11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Agreed. It looks gawky and overly round in the pics; in real life, more subtle body contours were apparent. I actually think it's attractive.

That's how I'm starting to feel about Jazz-style basses in general. Give me humbuckers!

However, I have to wonder how the Parker would sound with a set of DP123s instead of the Ultra Jazzes. I've never been overly impressed with Ultra Jazzes... too bright for me. DP123s have made my Fender Jazz amusing.
  12. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the review. I saw this bass in Guitar Center but i didn't have enough time to try it. I'm sure its an awesome bass, but that body shape is pretty ugly IMO.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've played on one a bit. Good, quality build to it. That's about the only positive thing I have to say about it. Just not my cup of tea.
  14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i rather like the looks.

and the guys at the Parker 2003 NAMM booth were nice enough to me.

ah well.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The gauges on my G.A.S. meter don't move a bit.

Another design that works as a guitar but fails as a bass.
  16. I played a Parker 4 (and it had less knobs, so maybe it was passive) last weekend. Very lightweight, and perhaps it had really new strings, because it sounded rediculously bright to me. (Not necessarily bad, but that was what jumped out at me).