Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just spoke with Walter Woods...WAHOO!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Apr 22, 2004.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I got a call back from the man himself today...Walter Woods! I asked him about getting a Green Light amp from him (450/300W), and he said that it wasn't an amp he was producing right now. He stated that due to the high demand for his higher power amps that people want to drive what he termed as "power hungry" cabs, the green light model wasn't as in demand. Anyhoo....
    He had a couple of "hybrid" amber light amps that would be available for me by next week...they're different than his Ultras in that they produce 900 Watts (!) at 4 ohms, and 600 at 8!! Yikes! 600 watts coming from my Bergantino 1X12!
    I'll be picking it up next Saturday at his house in the desert, so we'll see how everything pans out! I've had the jones for a WW for years, and between my Berg and my Nordstrand, LOOK OUT!! Tone nirvana! I'm so flippin' excited, I can't stand the wait!!
    Pics and a review to follow! :hyper:

2. jacochops

Wow!

Congratulations on your WW. I for one will look out for your pics and review when you post it.

:bassist:

A picture of your whole family - WW + Berg + Nordstrand - would be great.

Matthew

3. Congratulations!

The ambers are wonderful amps. I love mine.

[​IMG]

Mooradian makes the perfect carrying bag for them, BTW.

Aloha,

Jonathan

4. Welcome to the WW family. I love mine and use it more than my other superb gear. I haul mine around in the SKB mini mixer case. It fits perfectly with my cords and DI, and mini tuner. It's like a fat little brief case. I've got the Ultra and it's great. Just watch out for the idiots with drinks in their hands. One well placed spill and it's all over the magnificent little amp. I talked with Mr. Woods about this and he said just turn off the amp when you not using it (even in between sets when, that's when the jerks with drinks come up asking question and awking your gear) Walter said the switch will never wear out, he made it purposely for that. The reason if something wet does get spilled into the vents much less damage will occur if the power is off. I considered a rack, but that kinda defeats the beauty of a 7.5 amp etc. Anyway I love the reactions I get when people ask were my amp is.... :D

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip, Jonathan. :cool:

6. I'm drooling, my amber, which I love dearly does not have that power rating! Of course, I do not need 900 watts, but I want 900 watts! thankfully this is one area where GAS has not infected my bass mentality :crying:

7. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    firstly like to say hello to everyone on these forums, joined up yesterday, been reading threads here over 3 weeks, must say between all you guys and gals there is a great deal of information on different products. thanks all of ya..!!!!!
    my question is thrown at the walter woods users, Im actually in Australia, so theres not a great deal of high end bass gear here. :crying: So i am thinking on importing something from the US. so far i have decided on a couple of combinations. ie
    (Thunderfunk head + Berg 1x12)(i amp 800 combo)which both can run at 240v . so i wanted to no if the ww amps have switchable voltage regs on them, as you can buy acme here that would save on big shipping for speakers. thanks guys. :bassist:

8. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i thought ww was a brit/lived in england? is he in the states?

9. Walter is an American living in America... go figure :rolleyes:

Anyway, his amps have a dual voltage switch at the back, so you could use it in Australia. I do not think he sells amps outside of the US though. :bawl:
    good luck.

Al

10. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks for that....the hunt continues :bawl:

11. I hope you get great use out of it, Boogie, & enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I've been tempted to trade up for an Ultra, but in use the amber has always had more juice than I've needed, and for outdoor stuff I can grab the rack rig. Yours, with an extra couple of hundred watts headroom, should be plenty robust.

Mine is travelling off island for the first time this weekend, to San Diego and then I'm bringing it to Japan in May. It's great to be able to pack it in a suitcase and it disappears amongst the clothes.

I've done Latin Duo gigs with the guitarist plugging into channel 2 of the amber, and it's sounded great at moderate volume through a pair of Bergie HT-112s. I've also used channel 2 for a mic.

For some reason they sound best for Bass with that last knob, the loop blend one or whatever, set on full if you aren't using the loop.

Aloha,

Jonathan

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, the Mooradian will be an upgrade from the laptop bag I've been using, no doubt! :smug:

I've become quite spoiled with my Ultra. In fact, I'm even using it for outdoor gigs with two cabs. A truly great little bass amp. In fact, a great bass amp when compared to big ones, too! :p

Hear ya on that last knob tip, I found the same thing to be true.

13. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Walter does sell outside the US!!

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, congratulations. Walter makes some nice amps. They're extremely well engineered. The Ultra is 1200 watts at 7 pounds, and you can use it outdoors in 110 degree weather and it's reliable and sounds great. I can get just about any sound I want out of mine, modern or old school. And I kept an MI-100 'cause it has a magic chemistry with an F bass, for recording purposes. Lately I've been using the bottom channel with a Roscoe, I think that's the one that's supposed to be voiced for acoustic bass, right?

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I believe they are switchable to 240V because know of one player (who sometimes visits TB as GeorgeX) who used a WW for years until it was stolen.

You know about Acme being available in Australia so I'm presuming you know of the importer, David Burges (Green Square Music). His MO seems to be to bring in gear that's not readily available here in OZ (Acme, alembic, Acoustic Image). While you're tlking to him about the Acme's, ask him if he can help with a WW?

16. bassplayer1

bassplayer1 Guest

Congrats on your move to get the WW amp. I am considering getting one myself. I talked to Walter and explained to him that the SM900 (w/ Goliath III and son of Bertha 15) I am currently using takes to long to dial in the needed tones when I change basses and the fan noise gets loud at times. He reccommended the "WW Ultra High Power" at 7lbs which pushes 1200 watts into 4ohms and 800 into 8 ohms. The price would be $2300 delivered.

What made you take the "leap"? I paid about a grand for the SM900. I am convinced the WW would be easier to use, but I am having trouble convincing myself that it will sound $1200 better? I have never played or heard a WW. Any advice.

17. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I guess the thing that made me get one is for one, size/weight. Secondly, GREAT tone...third, the man is not a spring chicken (although he sounds about 40 on the phone, I believe he's in his 60s/70s), and I want to get one before he decides to stop making them!
    Mine will push 600 watts into 8 ohms, and 900 into 4, and the price is 2000. Is the $ is the issue, get one of these, as long as you're willing to give up the extra watts.
    He has 2 others available now, I believe. I get mine Saturday! :D

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Boogiebass, I know you're in Oceanside...I'm in Murrieta/Temecula. Why don't we get together sometime with our Woods heads, basses, and make a big groovy mess!

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What convinced me to take the leap for a WW was two things:

1. the amp had one feature other amps didn't have: two full channels so I could keep both my URB and EBG plugged in for quick changes

2. for URB, the EQ sounded better than the amp I was using at the time (I would never have bought one if I was only an EBG player)

I'll admit I didn't decide I wanted one until I had a chance to actually play through one and hear what it could do.

While it may seem like a lot of money, over time if you like the amp it will be worth it. It's not just the sound, it's the whole package: great sound, unique features, tiny and light. How do you put a $$$ amount on the size and weight of an amp, eh?

Besides, if you don't like it you can sell it in a few days without losing a penny, in fact you might be able to make a few hundred dollars. If you do like it, it may be the last amplifier you ever buy.

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, there is a switch allowing you to run on 220V but the permanently attached power cord has a US style plug; you will have to use an adapter or just replace the plug.