just started with DB, what are some different playing styles

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by filmandmusic, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Well to start things off I am a high school student who has got the schools DB for the summer :bassist: ... I have played e-bass for a few years and have had a passion for DB from day one... what I would like to know is if there are any cool styles/ helpful tips for a new kid ?
  2. What style of music do you want to play? Do you have a teacher? A teacher will do more for you than an online message board.
    One thing I will suggest is this, listen to as much music as you can with DB in it, find what you like, than persue it with everything you've got.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  4. ok so lets take jazz for a little spin.... are there any fun plucking styles that I could learn and play with? and how would you play slap on one of these things haha
  5. As far as plucking goes the 2 ways I know of are 1 finger use the side of your index finger to pluck the string. Then the 2 finger, similar to BG style. Slap on DB is different than BG, that's all I can tell you about that. Here's a great idea, experiment on your own or maybe even take a few lessons! Amazing concept eh?
  6. haha well thanks, Ill look into that lesson thing
  7. Sorry if I came off like an a** in that last post. It was late I couldn't sleep I came online to entertain myself in my sleeplessness. But some lessons would be very helpful for more reasons than I expressed.
  8. hey look dude no problem, I understood what you ment... :) so I played around on the DB last night, it was cool... I played with some basic blues and jazz walking lines, it went pretty well :smug: I dont know if theres anybody around my part of the woods that teaches DB but Ill look for one
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sam Sherry, one of the moderators here, is from up that way. Maybe he can direct you.
  10. kurt

Mar 15, 2004
    Edmonton A.B. Canada
    To slap on an upright you don't produce notes with the right hand thumb like you do on e.b.You snap the string with 2 or 3 fingers on your right hand so that the string strikes the finger board producing the note along with a percussive click.you then can slap the fingerboard with your open hand but mute the notes so that you just get the click without the note.You can do a triplet by snapping then hitting the strings with your palm and then your finger tips on the string that you are going to play next so you are set up for the next snap.If you slap on electric it might take a while to gbet used to snapping on the downbeat instead of the upbeats.Try playing a root five pattern (ex. C to G)play the snap on the downbeat and the click on the backbeat.Or you can do the boom-chicka rythm,the snap being the boom and the palm fingertip combo for the chicka.Have fun!
    P.S. you might want to practice for only a few minutes at a time until you build up some calluses or you'll turn your hand into a bloody mess.
  11. And when he says "bloody" mess, he means that literally.
  12. cool man....i'll do some of that to night!