Just started work on my new bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Well, I finally got the cojones to give building a bass a try. It helps that my best friend is a master luthier, of course, but I'm going to do most of the work myself. My uncle, who lives next door, has all the tools I need, which is a bonus. Here's the deal: Two piece ash body, pretty much a jazz bass shape, but a bit smaller. 5 string fretless, maple neck with ebony fretboard. Badass V bridge, Gotoh tuners, single Basslines MM pickup in the MM sweet spot and a Basslines MM preamp. I already have the pickup.
    I jointed and glued the two pieces of ash on Wednesday and I got the body dimensions and stuff worked out today. Gotta love Autocad 2002 and a plotter at my disposal at school:D. I just got back from cutting the body with a bandsaw and doing rough sanding with the belt sander. It came out very well! Woohoo! I had to post about it because I'm actually really excited!:p
    This should be an interesting learning experience, and if I screw it up, the wood only cost $20 so I can start over with very little loss!

I'm not sure how I want to do the headstock. I think I want to go 3+2 in a Fender/MM style but if anyone has any ideas let me know! :D