Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just started work on my new bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Well, I finally got the cojones to give building a bass a try. It helps that my best friend is a master luthier, of course, but I'm going to do most of the work myself. My uncle, who lives next door, has all the tools I need, which is a bonus. Here's the deal: Two piece ash body, pretty much a jazz bass shape, but a bit smaller. 5 string fretless, maple neck with ebony fretboard. Badass V bridge, Gotoh tuners, single Basslines MM pickup in the MM sweet spot and a Basslines MM preamp. I already have the pickup.
    I jointed and glued the two pieces of ash on Wednesday and I got the body dimensions and stuff worked out today. Gotta love Autocad 2002 and a plotter at my disposal at school:D. I just got back from cutting the body with a bandsaw and doing rough sanding with the belt sander. It came out very well! Woohoo! I had to post about it because I'm actually really excited!:p
    This should be an interesting learning experience, and if I screw it up, the wood only cost $20 so I can start over with very little loss!

I'm not sure how I want to do the headstock. I think I want to go 3+2 in a Fender/MM style but if anyone has any ideas let me know! :D