just startin' and loving it

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by spots, Feb 21, 2004.

1. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    My DB experience as begun! Just got home with my rental. Some chinese bass (Samuel Eastman?). Couldn't help fooling around. Anyone know anything about these basses? Im loving upright. Don't worry. I've read my share of newbie links. I'll start lessons in a week or so. (might get my first with John Lockwood!) Anyone have any tips for a starry eyed ultra DB newbie such as myself? I've fooled around a little bit, tried to get some decent intonation (and failed for the most part). I'm making sure not to remember any of the bad habits, such as my horrible left hand techique...
    Any tips?
  2. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Renting and starting with a teacher right away, you can't get any smarter than that.
    Good Luck . . .
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Starting out with John Lockwood! Now THAT is a leg up...
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Prankster, got your private message; my response to you was bounced back for some reason, so I'll answer here;

John Lockwood is a Boston area jazz bassist who's played with lots of name guys. He's also co-led the avant-jazz trio The Fringe for the last twenty years or so. He's the real deal, and would be a great start for anyone wanting some DB lessons.