just starting, need a little advice~

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Link, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    okay, I"m a total newbie to the string bass as well as this site. I just got bass (3/4 hybrid) not that long ago and am attempting to play it. I've made a few posts on other boards asking for advice as well as a few e-mails on beginning the bass... and pretty much everyone has said "get a teacher". Originally I was going to try and pull this off mostly myself... but I think I"ll take everyone's advice and get atleast a few lessons. I"m starting to look around for a teach, but it's going to be difficult to find one with in reasonable driving distance and price. I taught myself the viola because I couldn't pin a teacher. Now, I"m not giving up on my search, but I've begun teaching myself a little (Would've combusted if I hadn't...) My dad self-taught himself to play, but hasn't really played since college and a friend of mine who also plays the bass won't be back till later this summer- :( so I have two people to fall back on but I"m still sorta out on a limb. Does any one have any tips or suggestions on playing bass or what I should work on until I can find a teacher? Anything at this point would be a help. Many thanks...
  2. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    I"d read through maybe half earlier and am almost done looking though most of them- I think I originally found this site off of Bob Gollihur's site and had some book marks of different sites but they got shafted when my old e-mail account bombed the last time. It's been a big help and thanks- Things are pretty much under control right now. THe only problem I have that I know of is that I'm 5'2" and it's al ittle hard to balance the bass when bowing. I'm starting to work that one out a bit though and I'm hoping ot get a teacher soon. I'll be sure to relay any questions that come up in the future. This site's a great resource. Thanks again! ~"Link":)
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Many folks' approach is to balance the instrument so it stands straight up, by itself. That way, you're not using your energy to hold it up -- you just have to play it!
  4. mva

Jul 1, 2002
    thats a good tip - to work on balancing the instrument against your leg. try to practice loud long tones with the bow, in position, dividing two half steps across your left hand. most of what you need to learn at an early stage is playing in tune in the low register.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Practice long low tones with the bow, and string crossing using just open strings.
  6. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    thanks for the advice guys. I tried balalancing it a little more upright when I practiced today and it seemed to help a bit. I"m going to put atleast a half hour a day aside to work on bowing-( esp crossing strings... :eek: ) I'm trying to get my hands on a full length mirror, too- thanks again!~ Link