Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just starting, need something to practice with

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DJCrashAL01, Jul 14, 2002.

1. DJCrashAL01

DJCrashAL01

Jul 11, 2002
    Wyoming, MI
    Hey, i'm just starting to play bass, and i'm wondering what would be good to start practicing. I'm already gonna practice some Blink 182 stuff, Green Day, and Box Car Racer and what not. But, are there some other bands, or specific songs that would be good for a beginner like me? Thanks

2. Try different styles. Rock/punk is okay for steadiness and basic basslines, but mostly poor in harmonics and the understanding of chords. Here are some tips that helped me to become a great bassplayer (they say).

Beatles: for the basic and advanced minor/major harmonics (Paul McCartney may be dull figure, but he is a great bassplayer).

Chuck Rainey: timing & groove (played on a lot of the Steely Dan albums).

Also I have an LP of Sweet Smoke (some hippie band playing jazz-rock) and I learned to play the bass of "Just a poke" including the bass-solo. To me this track holds al the more advanced stuff of bassplaying (the blues-scale, improvisation, chord progressions). Once I could play and understood this entire track a world openend.

Jos

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    For a basic funk foundation grab The Best of the Meters. This will teach you the importance of WHERE you put the notes, not how many you play. Listen to Aston Barrett on some Bob Marley recordings and you can learn again how difficult it can be to play LESS notes while focusing on where and when they should be played. Great timing and pocket lessons in this stuff.

4. Write your own music. I used to play a lot of Green Day etc. and the only song that is worth playing now is longview... The best way to figure things out on the bass is to learn them yourself, don't imatate other styles...

5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I highly suggest Gary Willis's "Linear Approach to Fingerboard Harmony" book. Really helped get my knowledge of functional lines and the fingerboard down. It concentrates on jazz walking lines, but the information and its application to electric bass is invaluable, or it was for me at least.

6. Learn to play the blues. It will teach you how to walk. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

7. I learned with How to play jazz and improvise - Jamey Aebersold. Taught me how to read, how to follow, and how to lead when you should. It'll make you get solid on the basics, and then jump up on top when it's time.

Now I started out by playing w/ this kinda stuff, and now I play in bands that are no where near jazz. But I wouldn't trade that first learning experience for anything. I play mostly straight up rock covers and origionals, and some of the other local bassists have asked me where I got my style from, and I keep pointing them there.

HTH's.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    some of MxPx's stuff might challenge you a little if you are a beginner...

bp13

9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    If you are into pop punk, go to the source. The first RAMONES record is where you should start. I still jam to this on a regular basis and I've been playing a while. In addition the way it is mixed lends itself to learning. The bass is panned hard left and the guitar hard right. Just turn the balance knob/slider on your stereo to isolate the bass and there you go.

DEE DEE, R.I.P.

don't forget to have FUN! :D

10. mrdungbeatle

mrdungbeatle

Jul 29, 2002
    pop punk? isn't that a contradiction? but i suppose this forum's not about poor taste in music. Any ways heres my advice, if youd like it : NOFX has some good songs to start out on, such as linolium, moron bros, quart in session, or for a walking bass line: all outta angst. You can try a rancid song like roots radicals. It my be to hard to start out on, but the best way to improve is to challege yourself. Anti-flag is really good, you can try underground network, thats one of their easier songs. Lagwagon's Mr. cofee is fairly easy. I'll recommend some ska and Punk/ska songs because they, being sorta repeatitive, is good for endurence and working out your little pinky finger. These song helped me out the most: Choking Victim's fivefinger discount and 500 channels. The Suicide Machines' break the glass, hey or New girl. Try some Sublime like what i got, wrong way, ebin, also look up Long beach dub all star's: rightious dub and my life. its important to learn scales because you actually undersatnd how music works, kinda. take lessons and try other types of music like Jazz and funk. oh yeah, you really should listen to some real punk rock, if you dont already(like the bands i listed above and many more) Blink 182 to and green day ( green day was pretty good on dookie) but blink 182 are cookie cutter sellouts. it worrys me that people think thats punk. sorry if im preachy. finally write your onstuff and express your self, its what music is about