Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just starting out

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by joedude, Mar 14, 2004.

1. joedude

joedude

Mar 14, 2004
    I want to learn bass guitar. And, I was just wondering if there is a way for me to learn bass without spending a load of cash. Like getting a practice bass or something like that.

J. Myshko

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi j.,

you can always search pawn shops and the used want ads but I found new basses at musican's friend for as low as $99.99 for a "rogue" (don't know much about them) or $179.99 for a fender squire:

http://tinylink.com/?T6djh9WYLY

I think a fender squire p-bass is a good way to start out.

hope this helps. good luck w/the bass - I'm always thrilled to know someone new is taking up the boom staff!

on bass, watt

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I had a friend who had a rouge, I played it and it well... kinda sucked. As a beginner though, you might not be able to tell the difference. :p

I know there are package deals you can find where you get a beater bass, practice amp, strap, chords... etc. You can usually find them on musicians friend or at a music shoppe.

But I would recommend getting a decent second hand bass. What kind of music do you want to make? Consider this in your quest for tone/playability. Example: If you want to play fingerstyle as opposed to pick. I played a Gibson Thunderbird, it was cool, but I didn't know where to rest my thumb. Plus, if you slap, unless you do it like Louis Johnson, it would be trickey. My beginner bass was a Yamaha RBX260 for 200 bucks. I still play it occasionally, it's a pretty nice beginner.

Good luck.

4. watt

matt,

this is good advice, thanks for helping out!

on bass, watt

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In the words of Eek the Cat: "It never hurts to help." :)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  7. watt

matt,

thanks much for this excellent piece of philosophy!

on bass, watt

8. Hey, I started out with a used Fender Heartfield 4 string, which costed 300. This was a great bass to start out on because its smaller than other basses (i was only 10) and its a pretty good bass. My friend started out on an Ibanez package deal, which came with a bass, crate amp, strap, picks, tuner, video, cloth, gig bag. I thought this was a great package to start with. I couldn't tell the difference between basses when I just started out so you probably wouldnt either. Hope this helps. Mark

9. Also I have a 50 watt practice amp I am looking to sell, probably for about 75 dollars. This is a good amp to start out on if you decide to get a bass that does not come with an amp. Thanx