Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Starting, what to use and how to use it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DJCrashAL01, Jul 11, 2002.

1. DJCrashAL01

DJCrashAL01

Jul 11, 2002
    Wyoming, MI
    I'm gonna start playing bass, i haven't even bought a bass or amp yet. My friends play guitar so they can help me out a little. But, I'm not sure about tuning and exactly how to play. Also with reading tabs, or if anyone has any other tips for me i would appreciate it. And, I am going to play music like Blink 182 mostly, so if you have any tips on what picks to use, etc. basically, if there is anything a newbie like me should know, tell me. Alright, that's about it, thanks.

Crash

2. Welcome to TalkBass! Stick around and learn some stuff!

Ok, first bass recommendations from me are: Squier (ecomomy budget line of Fender), Yamaha (also makes good motorcycles :D), Essex (just bought the jazz bass, and I'm thrilled with it). All three are affordable, and decent quality basses. If you plan on playing Blink 182, punk, stuff like that, a Precision bass is probably the best way to go. There is a link the the TalkBass FAQ at the top of the screen, so if you aren't familiar with some of the terms, your answers will be held within the FAQ.

TB has a pretty extensive TAB archive. Tabs are a touchy subject around here, because we have some pros that abhor tabs. I think they are good for the new bassist to use as a crutch as they develop notation sight reading and ear training.

For tuning your bass, get a chromatic tuner. The bass guitar is tuned E A D G in standard intonation. That is also how the top four strings of a guitar are tuned, so if you're having trouble, your guitarist friends can help you out.

A first amp shouldn't break the bank, and doesn't need to bring the walls down. Currently, my only amp is a 15 watt practice amp. I don't play out with it, I use bigger amps to jam with, but it suits me just fine for sitting at home. Check out the amps forum, and don't be afraid to use the search function. It is actualy recommended that you do a search before posting a thread.

Hope I have been of some help. There are some upstanding and very helpful ladies and gentlemen on the forum, so make yourself comfortable.

PS: The setup forum is for the maintenance and repair of your bass. The mods will probably move this, but don't worry too much about it, you're new, so they won't give you too much trouble. :D

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree. Go to the FAQ. Read it. Love it. :D

Playing bass is a lot of things; an art, a hobby, but it's also an investment. And wouldn't it be silly to invest is a snazzy bass and amp, only to look at them and say, "Wow, I wish I could play..."

The BEST investment you can make is to start taking lessons. They will cost you a few bucks, but will more than pay for themselves in the long run. You are in a good position because you haven't started playing yet, which means you haven't developed any bad habits that arise from being "self-taught".

Remember to have fun, too. Good luck. :)