Just starting.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mudduck, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Mudduck

Aug 17, 2005
    I have just started trying to play my bass. I have an Ibanez exb404pr and an Ampeg B100R amp with a Monster cable. I have a book to get me started but am having a problem. Everytime I pluck a string I am getting a lot of vibration from the others. I constantly have to stop and put my hand on the strings to get them to be quiet. What is the best way to keep the other string from making noise when I am playing another note. For example when I play the E the G will be faint. This is frustrating for me. I am thinking of taking a lesson but the only guy willing to try and teach me plays a regular six string.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your problem is easy to cure, Mudduck. You have to learn how to play the bass!
    I'm messing with you a little, but basically, that's what you have to do. You have to use your hands to stop the other strings from vibrating. And that just comes from learning good techniques. If all you can line up for a teacher is someone who plays guitar, I think it's OK for a beginner to learn from a guitarist, but you will want to get a real bass teacher when you start to figure it out and want to get better.
  3. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Welcome to world of string muting. One of the many things to learn.

Yeah, bass teacher is best. Guitarist, they don't know a fraction, of what goes on behind learning bass - muting for a start. Their strings are tiny compared to bass strings.