Just Switched Back From DR Lo-Riders to Fender Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzin', Sep 8, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well, actually, I didn't just switch back. I switched yesterday. My Lo-Riders were getting "old" sounding, and I was just sick of it. I also found them too loose/wobbly despite everything I hear about them being some of the tightest stiffest strings. Fender strings are much tighter. Maybe I just had a freak set of Lo-Riders. So I switched back to Fender brand Stainless Steels and they sound SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!!!
    Slapping and popping has a more define tone now. And so does everything else. These strings are so good. They are brand new and I can leave my tone on my passive Jazz on 10 and easily control the brightness with my plucking fingers. I can make them sound old or new. I found this harder to do with other sets of strings. I hope they last long.

Anyone else try Lo-Riders but switch back to whatever brand they were using before? Was something wrong with my set of Lo-Riders?
  2. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I use Lo-Riders exclusively for the last year and never had a problem with them. At first I was skeptical, as I demanded a .130 B string at the time. I haven't had a problem with the lighter guaged strings, even on my 34' scale basses. My P-bass is currently tuned to C and my DR's are staying surprisingly tight.

Must've been a bad set or something? Either way, good to know you've found what you were looking for!
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I just put a set of these on my Nordstrand equipped P bass deluxe. I've become a believer in stainless steel roundwounds!!

They can get a really nice thump, or a wicked grind, depending on how you set the tone knob.

When I first tried them 10 years ago, I didn't think I liked them. Boy, was I wrong. I love the feel too-they're not really rough, but feel like they have a little something to help the fingers hold on when getting hot and sweaty.

I wanted to try Rotsound again. Haven't used those since the early 80's, but I keep hearing of QC issues. The only other one's I may still try are the Ken Smith rockmasters. For now, I'm sticking to the Fender 7350L's :hyper:
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Haha, it's been a while. I haven't maintained a brand and model of strings yet on any of my basses. That bass currently has Rotosound 66s on it, but they're too rough. I might give DR Lo-Riders a second chance once these Rotosounds are dead.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've kept Lo-Riders on my Spector 5 for a few years now.. I love the way they feel and sound, and they last a really long time. I have never gotten a bad set.
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i actually think i am going to give these a whirl now that i am back to uncoated strings. supposidly they "resist corrosion".
  7. I am with you on this subject. I don't think they are the "tightest or stiffest" strings.

This is my response in another discussion on TB.

I have read this many times on TB and had my local music store guys say the same thing. I think it comes from the sales literature they send to the dealers that describes the lowriders as being (higher tension) than the other strings they make.

I purchased five different brands of strings to try out and did my own little unscientific test to see which sets had the higher tension. All the strings were the same gauge 45 to 105 four string sets. The test bass was a Stingray.

Unscientific (feel) results below are low to high.

Rotosound Swing Bass 66 (power lines)
    GHS boomers
    Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky
    D’addario XL’s
    DR Lowriders nickel (wet noodles)

The GHS, Ernie Ball, and D’addario strings are all very close in tension but the Rotosounds and Lowriders are worlds apart.
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I love Low Riders.
  9. Hey,
    I wanted to try some heavy lo-riders, and was wondering if anyone could give me a real explanation (not one of those company written or half-a**ed reveiws). It would be really cool if someone could, even though this isn't my thread.