1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just switched from DR Nickel Lo Riders to Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gyver, Aug 20, 2012.

1. So after playing DR Nickel Lo Riders (and loving them) for the past year I put on a set of Chromes out of curiosity as everything I keep reading about them sounds like I would like them.

Pros:
    -Tension, I like it and the resulting ability to set the action very low
    -Sound, they have the mids I like with enough highs and lows although I have not played them in a band setting yet.
    -I play a MM Sterling Classic. It is aggressive and i have never been able to play it with the treble and bass dimed because it is just too much with rounds. I seem to be able to do so with these strings, although so far I still like the sound better when I back off the treble and bass a touch (or more).
    -Actually seem more versatlie than the DRs, but that could just be my initial perception as the DRs are almost a year old and the Chromes are new.

Cons:
    -G string does not have the same sustain as the other three strings. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it is an issue with the nut?
    -They seem to be harder on my fingers than the roundwound nickels which is a bit of a surprise. Not a big deal to me.

I am going to keep them on for a good while and let them break in - curious to see how they sound with some age as everyone seems to like them better that way.

2. LemmyLicious

LemmyLicious

Sep 27, 2010
    Great thing about flats is that they're rarely overboard on any spot on the sound spectrum. I love the sense of control you get with them, rounds may have to be eq'd pretty tight to make them sound balanced but with flats you're not overwhelmed by the power.

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    FLats tend to do bad things to your fingers if you're used to rounds at first. Same with sound....highs? Give it a month or so, then you'll be wondering where your highs went.

Maybe it's me, but I think fender flats are brighter than chromes, and as far as I can tell, they're the same string.

4. Pablo770

Pablo770

Aug 22, 2011
    Poland
    Did you put super long scale version of Chromes? I'm asking, as I have Stingray Classic, and string-through bridge sometimes requires extra long strings from certain manufacturers. And I'm also considering trying flats out.

5. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I have Chromes on my EBMM Sterling as well, fair to say I quite like the sound :) I wouldn't say they are more versatile than DRs, but quite different (I use Sunbeams and FatBeams on different basses as well)
    Yes they can do low action, but they sound quite good with high action as well.
    The G string should settle, give it some time. Maybe Experiment with slightly different string height for the G?

6. I had to go with the super long scale. Long scale Chromes will not get the silk past the nut on the Sterling, but they might on the Stingray as the Sterling has 22 frets and the Stingray 21.

7. I like just enough highs to get it done but love the mids so I expect to like them more when they break in.

8. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I have had chromes on my jazz bass for about two months now. Yes Gyver the G string on mine dose not sustain as well as the other strings ! AND the tension on the G is higher than the other strings. Chromes are "outstanding" strings ! But not for me, Im going to go back to Sun Beams ! I am a long time RotoSound SwingBass 66 user !Im trying something different ! Sun Beams SEEM to do it for me But I still might go back to Roto Sounds I love the way they age !!! Ive used Flats in the first twenty or more years I have played. Wanted to try flats again,Thats what led me to chromes ! Im in a string hunt myself !!!!

9. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I have Long Scale Chromes on my Sterling and the silk clears fine.
    The number of frets doesn't matter, they are both 34" scale. That is the distance from the bridge to the nut. You can put as many frets as you can fit in there.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Make sure you break them for a few weeks before evaluating. They can be quite 'ringy' out of the box.

11. I have also noticed they are a bit "clicky" unless I finger pick with a very light touch (which I do for the most part anyway). I suppose raising the action would get rid of this but I like the action very low.

I have been using them several weeks now and still like them. I put the DR Lo Riders back on just to compare and I still love that string as well. I think the only solution is to get another bass so I can have both strings available at the same time.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have the same problem with mine, it's on my CV P-bass and the G I have is .050 IIRC. Almost seems like it doesn't show up sometimes unless you hit it pretty hard? Not sure if that's just how flats work or what, but I have the same problem with mine.