Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Switched From Ernie Ball to DR!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Dec 10, 2004.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I started out with Rotosound strings and my fingers couldn't stand them. This was a stark contrast to the Ernie Ball Hybrid (.45-.105) I've been playing. I love how soft the EBs felt and they had a great balanced attack...when new. I dig the dead string sound when it comes to boomy low end jazzy stuff, but I use my bass for everything.

I've heard great things about DR so I decided to pick up a pair. I ended up by some .50-.110 Highbeams and man oh man. These things are killer. A little rougher on the fingers, but not that much. The harmonics SING which is something EB's never do well. The high end is more "spanky". Just more complex sounding altogether. The low end is actually very boomy and these strings are just awesome.

On a little side note, I had to buy a Bass EQ pedal because my amp doesn't have a graphic EQ. These strings (without EQ) sound like EBs (with EQ). After I dialed in some funk on the ole EQ... You get the idea.

-Eric.

2. Thanks, Eric.. good read. I've been using Ernie Balls forever and I've been thinking about trying something else.

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    They're similar to EB's in a number of ways. I think the fact that they were just a bit thicker made a difference as well. They're punchier, meatier, a little rougher on the fingers, and apparently they last a lot longer. They cost about the same you might want to try a set instead of EB's next time you need strings.

4. Yup, just picked up some DR High-beams, .45-.100, after using ghs, musicman, and d'adarrio, DR's are the best so far. I may try a different guage next time, .45-.105, might try some sunbeams, i think I am stickign with dr's for a while though.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    here here.
    made the switch to DRs a couple of years ago. With the exception of Chrome flats(wish DR made a set of flats), no other string has been on my Pbass since. Hell DR is even located in the next town over from me. Too bad the dont deal direct. Soon i will have a Stringray to put a set of DRs. Miss the ringing of a nice set of roundrounds.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    welcome to my world Bwaaahahahahaha.
    And yet another member of the DR family.
    Love those High beams,they love you long time!!!!!!!!!! :) :ninja: :smug: :p :cool: :bassist:

7. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    You'll love it. DR's for life.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Quick question about the Hi-beams. Will I need an extra long set to string thru-body for a 34" scale bass? Also, is the B tapered?

Can't wait to try a set :hyper: !

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    DR sets are a little longer than the average long scale set (winding length is 37", I believe) so you should be ok going through-body. And, no, the B's aren't tapered; only on the Long Neck sets.

Tom