1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just switched to 5 strings, some advice, please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassFTW, Aug 7, 2007.

1. I just got a schecter studio-5 three or four days ago and it's great bass, comfortable, killer sound. But the higher string don't have quite as much punch to them as I'd like and anything above the 9th fret on the D and G strings sounds like popping even if I'm not, any advice on fixing this? I know the obvious answer--bring the action up, but there isn't any fret buzz so I don't think that's the problem.

Also: I'd like it to be my main bass because my four string sounds like s*** in comparison, what do you guys think of using a five string bass for alot of four string songs? Will I get used to the tighter spacing?

I know that's alot of questions but I'm pretty much a beginner (only about a year of playing in total) so help would really be appreciated.

2. anyone at all? And for the record five strings for four string songs and tighter spacing are separate questions, just clarifying.

And I mean normal positioning, not higher on the neck.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In all seriousness, there is no such thing as a four-string song. Songs may be written with only the notes on a four-string, but a fiver plays them the same- plus an additional hand position or two to maybe make the tune easier to play.

Not all 5'ers have tighter string spacing; mine is wide. If yours is tight spaced, either get used to it, or get one with wide spacing, they are not uncommon.

The business with certain strings or notes not having the tone or punch you want has nothing to do with it being a 5'er. You'll want to take it in to a good shop and have them do a "setup", which is where they adjust the string height, the bridge saddles, the pickup height and angle, etc. for optimal tone. You might also try different strings, they are a likely culprit.

4. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    I know what you're refering too with the term 4 string song. There are songs where the low B string are needed to copy the original artist. So they would be 5 string songs.

In regard to your problem ... check your frets. If you have no buzz you still could be getting some muting. So just to be sure raise the action a touch and see if it helps. Also change your strings! You could have a string that's dead at a point in it's length. Some basses do have DEAD SPOTS, especially the lesser expensive ones. If you change your strings and check your action and it doesn't help I say you have two options. 1. If the bass is new return it and get another bass. The same model on another bass may not have the same issue. 2. Have a guitar tech take a look at it and see if they can fix it. BUTTTTTTTTTTT 1st raise your action on that one string JUST TO SEE if it makes the difference. If it does it's a neck/fret issue. If it doesn't 2. change your strings. and if all else fails return the bass or have a tech fix it for you.

Good luck!

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    BassFTW,
    Everything you are describing has nothing to do with the extra string. Often when we change(upgrade)basses we have to change our technique as well. Generally when we upgrade our ears should be ready for some tonal changes but it takes a while to adapt. We may have been doing things technically to make up for deficiencies in our basses as well as over/under eq-ing for them. I'm often surprised when playing other basses how much harder or softer I have to attack a string to get the tone I want and expect out of it. I doesn't always mean either bass is better or worse, just different. You will hopefully learn to like some of the new tones your bass has to offer but others you may have to "tame" a bit. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.