Just switched to an active pickup...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Growler, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Ok, so for years I've been playing a MiM-P (Seymour duncan 1/4lbs), a fulltone bassdrive pedal into a eden nemesis 2x10.

In my current rig, I would leave the tone knob on the bass pretty much flat, and make any major changes on the amp itself.

However, since i'm playing a new active bass now, how should I approach this? Leave the amp flat and make all changes on the bass? Leave the bass flat, and make all changes on the amp?

Also, I've noticed that the bass pickups are very sensitive in that I can just barely tap the body of the bass and I can hear tones out of the amp. With the passive rig, the bass is dead quiet. It's this extra sound that's killing me right now, as even if I'm doing muting exercises when I move my finger from one string to another, the previous string rings when I lift my finger off the string.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    IME, there is no one right way to do this. Simply experiment and do whatever gives you the best tone, and optimum flexibility and control over your tone...

If you're not accustomed to the extra sensitivity that active electronics bring, it's probably time to refine your technique...

3. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Funny how it always boils down to practice...

Bottom line: No such thing as a free lunch.
  4. One more thing - and I felt kinda dumb after leaning this, but - on MY amp (the SVT II Pro) there is a 15db cut button that is there specifically for the increased power that active pups send to the amp. For a while I could not figure out why the hell my tone sounded so freakin' dirty! At first I thought, "Cool! Listen to this gritty, growly, somewhat distorted sound..." But then I was like, "Hey, I am sick of this distorted sound... Go away!!!" That was when I learned about the 15db cut.

All is well today. Love the active pups - love the SVT rig. The reason I would like to get a passive bass in my collection is to get a more 'old school sound' that I find so difficult to emulate with my MMSR5 or my Spector.