Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just switched to Dimarzio model J's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Just last night I swapped the ultra J's out for model J's. Plugged it in to try it out, and to me they actually sounded pretty similar. But today I got to try them out in a band setting and they cut through like a mofo. Not quite as nice of a slap sound but they are perfect for playing with a band. I got the best of both worlds- it kind of preserved the sound of the ultras but made the sound clearly distinguishable over drums and guitar. Rawk :ninja:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What's the output of those pickups like? Pretty hot? Would you compare it to a bass equipped with a humbucker, specifically a P-Bass?

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Pretty hot for passive I'm thinking. I'd have to A/B them with other basses to tell you really, I don't know much about output in relation to other pickups. I know it is hotter than my skyline, though.

4. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    What type wood body (and neck) did you put them into - i.e. alder, ash, maple etc.? Are you using "bright" strings? I ask because I am thinking of installing them (Model J's) on an ash body, with maple/rosewood neck. I feel like their (somewhat)heavy bottom would mesh nicely with the (somewhat) acoustically brighter ash body and give me some nice options. Any opinions on that?

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's an alder body with a maple/maple neck. I use D'addario nickel plated rounds. I'll have some sound clips posted soon.

6. I am thinking of mixing a Model J in the bridge with a Ultra J in the neck. How is your thought about that?

With the series/parallel switch for both of the pickups though. Just to have some more clarity in the sound. They do cut through like a lion though.. I normally only use my bridge and set it into series.

7. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    That's great, Bardolph. Currently using D'addario nickels also. I'm looking forward to hearing your clips!

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Have you compared the sound of your pickups, being wired individually in ser/par, with the sound of pickups wired together in series/parallel, as in only one switch?

9. I was thinking about putting a P/J set in my P-bass. I'd like to hear those sound clips!

10. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    The change is much more noticieable when you alter the wiring of both pickups than when you switch the wiring of the individual coils of each pickup. I had Model Js with push pull pots for series/parallel on each pickup and wound up using both pickups in series, 95% of the time.