1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just taking out a pair of power tubes?? huh?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Apr 26, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was searching the Boogie 400+ and one owner said that it is a reliable amp because in the event that a power tube should fail, all you have to do is remove the pair and it will keep working but with less power.

This doesn't seem right. Anyone try this?

2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    never tried this, but i heard it as well. i thought it had something to do with how the tubes are linked together, but i can't remember where i read it....

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its correct, but I wouldn't try it unless you are an expert and know which tubes need to be taken out. A better option may be the adjustable power solution, where you can turn pairs on and off. I believe that would probabally remedy any problem you have.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If a 400+ power tube goes out, you can temporarily remove it, you also need to remove the second tube in its pair.

The 400+ pairs are: left to right. (looking from the back)
    (Heres how you # your tubes)
    7-8-9-10-11-12
    1-2-3--4--5--6
    If tube # 1 went bad. You would remove #1 and #7 (2-8/3-9/and so on) and keep on playing at 250w. Its not recomended to play your amp this way for ever.

You might find the (400+ amp-mod), link below a good read.