Just thought I would get a little advice from the experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stanteloupe, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Stanteloupe

May 26, 2004
    I was in the local guitar shop when I found a little beauty hiding in the corner. It was a Cort Funk Machine II, and apparently after a little research I found out that it is T.M. Stevens signature bass. It comes with a built in funk wah, which isn't really nessasay, but it is kinda fun. My main interest was the playability of this bass, the action and feel of it was great. I want to buy it but I just thought I would see what the experts had to say about the Funk Machine II's. It is used, but all of the electronics are in good condition and at 675, it was a decent price. I'm sure I could widdle that down a little, but I couldn't seem to find any reviews of it online. If anyone has any experience with one or knows anything about them I would like to hear what you have to say, thanks. Oh yea, here's a link to it just incase you dont know what I'm talkin about.

2. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    $ :bassist: 675 sounds a little high for it being used. retail is around $950 new it would have to be in new mint! for that price! :bassist:

peavey cirrus 5
    cort carbow 5
  3. adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Guitar shops are notorious for trying to sell things for their “actual value”, perhaps that is what it Books for? :rollno:

To me it’s like buying a car, if I were after that bass I would just offer $500 and walk out when he told me no (some how the “oh, he was serious” sign turns on after you walk). I did this with a near mint vintage Ric over a period of time and I got the price down from $1500 to under a Grand. I turned around and sold it a month later for $1400.

PS- what they sell for on eBay would be able to give you an up-to-the-minute value
  4. adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Guitarplaza.com is selling a brand new one...

Retail Price: $995.00

Discount Price: $697.99 :)
  5. Just thought I'd throw a little curve at you. Someone is selling one on ebay, sans the funk circutry, for something like $300. Since it sounded like you didn't care much for the built in wah stuff, I thought this might interest you. and at less than half the pricw of the one you're looking at, sounds like it might be a good deal.

Never played a TM Stevens, but I got to play a Artisan B4 few times and really liked the playability- thin fast neck, and all that. Biggest difference I see between the B4 and the funk machine is the wah circutry and basswood body on the funk machine whilre the B4 is ash bodied, I think.

I'll see if I can find a link to the auction when I have a bit more time.

...Here ya go: