1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just thought I would get a little advice from the experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stanteloupe, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Stanteloupe

Stanteloupe

May 26, 2004
    I was in the local guitar shop when I found a little beauty hiding in the corner. It was a Cort Funk Machine II, and apparently after a little research I found out that it is T.M. Stevens signature bass. It comes with a built in funk wah, which isn't really nessasay, but it is kinda fun. My main interest was the playability of this bass, the action and feel of it was great. I want to buy it but I just thought I would see what the experts had to say about the Funk Machine II's. It is used, but all of the electronics are in good condition and at 675, it was a decent price. I'm sure I could widdle that down a little, but I couldn't seem to find any reviews of it online. If anyone has any experience with one or knows anything about them I would like to hear what you have to say, thanks. Oh yea, here's a link to it just incase you dont know what I'm talkin about.

http://www.cort.com/endorse/stevens/index.html

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    $ :bassist: 675 sounds a little high for it being used. retail is around $950 new it would have to be in new mint! for that price! :bassist:

peavey cirrus 5
    cort carbow 5

3. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Guitar shops are notorious for trying to sell things for their “actual value”, perhaps that is what it Books for? :rollno:

To me it’s like buying a car, if I were after that bass I would just offer $500 and walk out when he told me no (some how the “oh, he was serious” sign turns on after you walk). I did this with a near mint vintage Ric over a period of time and I got the price down from $1500 to under a Grand. I turned around and sold it a month later for $1400.

Mike

PS- what they sell for on eBay would be able to give you an up-to-the-minute value

4. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Guitarplaza.com is selling a brand new one...

Retail Price: $995.00

Discount Price: $697.99 :)

5. Just thought I'd throw a little curve at you. Someone is selling one on ebay, sans the funk circutry, for something like $300. Since it sounded like you didn't care much for the built in wah stuff, I thought this might interest you. and at less than half the pricw of the one you're looking at, sounds like it might be a good deal.

Never played a TM Stevens, but I got to play a Artisan B4 few times and really liked the playability- thin fast neck, and all that. Biggest difference I see between the B4 and the funk machine is the wah circutry and basswood body on the funk machine whilre the B4 is ash bodied, I think.

I'll see if I can find a link to the auction when I have a bit more time.

...Here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3727503241&rd=1

Bob