Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(just to be devil's advocate)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scottos150, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Is there some rule that say's bass has to be a rythm instrument, and that it can't play lead

2. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Nope

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hell no! :)

Have you listened to any of Jaco's work?

For example, Donna Lee, Continuum, and Portrait Of Tracy, as well as A Remark You Made, Birdland, and Teen Town (Weather Report).

Seriously Jaco did some beatiful melodic lead on bass. Check out those two albums - his self-titled debut album, and Weather Report's "Heavy Weather".

And Jaco isn't the only one to have done this, sorta thing, by far.

4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    even if it were the case of rythm only, nothing extraordinary ever came from following the rules

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    first off its spelled rhythm.

secondly, NEVER accept the standard, examine it and question it, come to your own conclusions.

bass is just a tool to create music, as is the african thumb piano, or the zither, or the guitar, or the djembe, or pennywhistle, they are all just instruments to create music with. If I wanted to, I could write a song with a tuba lead and a flute rhythm, ain't nothing stopping me.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    welcome into the light..... :)

Of course not. Bass makes an EXCELLENT lead instrument.

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    If bassists ruled the earth, we would require by law that the bass easily exceeds guitar in both volume and place in the food chain so to speak. anyone who does not follow this law would be heavily frowned upon and all 6 of their tiny, insignificant little wires they call strings would be broken, and their amps kicked.

8. If there was a rule, I would learn it in and out, and break it, just like Ghandi would.

I hate it when people say bass is only a rhythm instrument. Any instrument can be lead/melodic anytime, you just gotta find a line that fits.

9. Bass makes for an excelent melodic tool provided the proper accompaniments. I do however think that it is much harder to become a very rhythmic virtuoso than it is to become one of melodic nature. A good bassist embodies both. Listen to Opus pocus, not a terribly difficult series of lines but I personally cant write something with such a heavy groove while retaining a heavy melodic impression on the song.

10. Thank you, that was worded perfectly.:bassist:

11. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    see sig ;)

12. Notice how a thesaurus can make one sound intelligent but how it's always the syntax of what is written that reveals the underlying intelligence.:rolleyes:

13. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    also irony is lost on many people.

14. You just further supported my previous statement.:spit:

15. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    mmkay hoss

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know a polyglot...she annoys the hell out of me, she's always trying to prove to everyone that she speaks french and german and spanish and portuguese...she is really insecure and she feels a constant need to prove her worth, this results in her spending hours studying and being a know-it-all of the worst type, she also feels the need to tell everyone every little detail of her life, even when she's being ignored or the listener is half attentive. Oh and the icing on the cake, she thinks she can sing, but she is almost always out of tune, and when she is in tune she falters quickly.....people like that annoy me greatly.

sorry for the rant