Just tried a Dingwall, Mike Lull, Roscoe, F bass, and Nordstrand!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Mar 20, 2004.

1. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Wow. Today I called up Randy Beecham of Bass Atlanta and went down to see him. Hes an amazing guy that really knows his stuff about basses. He took the time to explain the preamps of each bass, explain the woods, etc. Anyone in the Atlanta area, check out www.bassatlanta.com and give him a call.

Now heres what I thought of each bass :

Dingwall : I really thought the fanned frets would give me trouble, or at least play very differently, but I was completely wrong. I just didnt look down and played it like any other bass. The B string as 37" i believe. It was really tight, but not quite as tight as I expected from such a long B. Very even tone.

Mike Lulls : I played 2, a J/J and a P/J. Both basses played and sounded great. I really dug the P/J for fingerstyle, to get that nice smooth p pickup tone with the crunch and grit of the J. The J/J was really nice for slap, as all J basses are.

Roscoe : What can I say... Its a roscoe. I own one. This was a 5 string with a zebrawood top, cocobola fingerboard. Heck, check bassatlanta.com for specs on the basses. The roscoe has always had the tightest Bs, and this one certainly didnt dissapoint. Had really smooth lows, and tame highs, not too bright. Using about 75% bridge pup with some mids gave a nice even funk tone.

F-bass : I LOVE the looks of these basses, and they certainly dont sound bad at all. It had a maple neck, which gave it a solid crunch most of the time, which I dug. Really tight B as well, but really, if you get to a bass this expensive and the B isnt great, then why is it that expensive?

Nordstrand : This bass wasnt for sale, but I can say it and the roscoe were my favorite of the bunch. Its preamp was very very extensive. I think it was an agular obp-3, though I might be mistaken. It was a J/J style bass. It was REALLY smooth and had an amazing growl to its slap. Sound very close to the roscoe, but with more string balence and less low mids. Im considering trading my roscoe 4 string for one of these...

All in all it was a great trip to visit a great, knowledgeable guy who is easy to deal with. He put no pressure on me to buy anything at all. Randy sells a few amps/cabs for right now, but is leaving that business when he sells these. He has a really nice Aguilar preamp and a few cabs. Also has some good EA stuff. Now im not trying to sit here and advertise, but Im just stressing how great a time I had playing through this great equipment. Hope some of these reviews helped, though they arnt that indepth.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like you had fun playing with the big boy's toys today. :D Randy is a good guy, and thanks for posting your views on those great basses. As for the Nordstrand...a little more info:

The preamp in the bass you tried was an Aguilar OBP-3 and the pickups were Nordstrand NJ4SE split-coil humcanceling models. Roscoes and Nordstrand are amazing instruments (but very different)...are you SURE you don't need one of each! :D :smug:
  3. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Oh believe me, If i had the funds I would own one of each, but right now im about to have a heart attack trying to figure out which I like more...
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    :D :D :D
  5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Very cool getting a first hand review of exceptional instruments all in one place. Thanks for posting. Those are all exceptional instruments!

I also agree, Randy is first class and very experienced. I bought the Roscoe LG3005 in my avitar from Randy over a year ago. He is an asset to this group.
  6. Thanks, guys. (blush :oops: )

I appreciate all the kind words.

Jay.......listening to JJd2sc play the Nordie (that I got from you) was a sheer delight. He could really do justice to Carey's creation. What a talent. But as he said.....it's not for sale. ;) I love that axe !!!!