Just tried a Flea Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Pretty good bass, a little pricey though (would not dare to spend $2000 on a bass like that). Sweet neck, awesome Bart pickup (electronics are alright). Very light, punchy yet smooth tone...liked it!
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, i dont know where you shop, but ive NEVER seen a Flea for $2000! Not even a custom!
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The list price just happens to be $2199 for the 4-string, all according to the Modulus website. So seing one with a price tag of $2000 should not be strange at all.

Edit: Although www.musicgearonline.com says $1999 for the same bass. Funny. However, my point is still valid.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    most i've seen are like $1400+ brand new --;
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    There's one hangin up at my local Mars with a tag on it of $1299.99 I played it, It was nice played nice and it has a silver sparkle finish, looked sharp.
    It's on hold:(
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oyster, generally, any good store will take off between 25-35% off of the MSRP/List. Remember, here in America we dont pay for accross the ocrean shipping!

If i saw a Flea bass for $2000, i wouldnt EVER consider buying it. Thats way to much.
  7. I remember when 40% off list was standard on Long Island. You could buy your axe from Sam Ash in Hempstead or Gracin's in Freeport, whichever had what you wanted in stock. Of course, today's alternatives to paying high retail markup are just as good: buy direct or buy used on a worldwide market, options that weren't available back then.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I recall seeing Flea basses being blown out at less than a grand a couple of years ago.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'm well aware of that, but it all depends on the dealer. Some dealers try to sell used instruments for more than list. E.g. some TB:er (sorry, I forgot who and couldn't find the thread again) saw a used Tobias Toby in a shop with a price tag set higher than the direct MusicYo price...
    I agree, any GOOD store will take off as much as they can from the list prices, but not every store is a good one. And unfortunately, there seems to be two bad stores for every good one.