1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just tried a Mesa MPulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChenNuts44, Dec 26, 2003.

1. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Played through: Various basses though 2 Mesa 2x10s, not Road-Ready.

Thoughts: The MPulse had a big, tubey sound. The EQ was quite powerful, but even so, could not do much to alter the voiced sound of the pre. I did enjoy the fact that each band was semi-parametric...it was nice to be able to have the ability to work with specific frequencies. However, as I said before, that default sound was always there...that big round tubey sound. It's almost as if there was too much low frequency at any given time, even when I was specifically dialing out the lows, which I wasn't able to cure with any of the onboard EQ options. It does the smooth thing like a champ, but if you like that barky sound, I'd keep looking. I didn't find much use for the boost in trying things out, but if a big volume change was required, I suppose this would be a nice feature to have.

Conclusion: If that round, tubey sound is your thing, then this head is for you...smooth as silk. Otherwise, I found it to be somewhat of a 1-trick pony. YMMV

//edit: I forgot to mention that the fan was rather noisy. I didn't check to see if this was switchable, but if not, it's not something I'd recommend for the studio.