Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just tried a Mesa MPulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChenNuts44, Dec 26, 2003.

1. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Played through: Various basses though 2 Mesa 2x10s, not Road-Ready.

Thoughts: The MPulse had a big, tubey sound. The EQ was quite powerful, but even so, could not do much to alter the voiced sound of the pre. I did enjoy the fact that each band was semi-parametric...it was nice to be able to have the ability to work with specific frequencies. However, as I said before, that default sound was always there...that big round tubey sound. It's almost as if there was too much low frequency at any given time, even when I was specifically dialing out the lows, which I wasn't able to cure with any of the onboard EQ options. It does the smooth thing like a champ, but if you like that barky sound, I'd keep looking. I didn't find much use for the boost in trying things out, but if a big volume change was required, I suppose this would be a nice feature to have.

Conclusion: If that round, tubey sound is your thing, then this head is for you...smooth as silk. Otherwise, I found it to be somewhat of a 1-trick pony. YMMV

//edit: I forgot to mention that the fan was rather noisy. I didn't check to see if this was switchable, but if not, it's not something I'd recommend for the studio.