1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just tried "malta goya"...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris1125, Jan 4, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    So I was thirsty at a grocery store and wanted something to drink. I passed the goya isle and they had about 80 boxes of malta goya, I got one bottle for 49 cents thinking it was cream soda or sonething but it was terrible. Bitter meaty liquid with a terrible after taste and a stench that could kill a small animal. I almost threw up. I googled this horrid substance and found almost.no info on it, do any of you actually drink this stuff?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  3. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    It's like a mexican brand that makes pop, dressings of soets and every bean you can imagine. Found in the local value grocery store near you lol

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Its an ethnic soda as the link shows. Too bad I can't drink anymore because I loved the "cervesa", sold in the little mom and pop grocerias..........................:)

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Isn't that a Mexican drink? I had something like that before and yeah, it was horrible.

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Malta Goya, the taste'll destroy ya...

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Memories! I used to drink that stuff all the time, like 25 years ago. The brand at my local shops was "Malta India", but it's the same stuff. To be honest, the first bottle I bought was out of curiosity; the second bottle was to gross out my friends; and the third bottle was because I actually kinda liked it. It's terrible, but in a good way.

8. I love the stuff... Malta India was the stuff I used to drink... I haven't had any in ages though, but I know I'd still love it. I'm just a fan of malt flavor....

9. My dad LOVES it. He can't stand beer and told me I'd like it. It was a mistake to take his word on that, lol. So much BLEEEEEGGHHHH.

10. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    I like it. my parents used it to fatten me up.

11. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Found it at a dollar store once. Never again.

12. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Three hours later and the terrible after taste is still very present unfortunately.

13. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    India or Princesa. Goya is nasty.

14. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Winner.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Malta is basically unfermented beer. It is disgusting, but if you boil to uncarbonate it, and let it cool, it makes an easy yeast starter for brewing beer........

17. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    It's Puerto Rican not Mexican :eyebrow: :D

18. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Sorry, I really thought the company was ran out of Mexico, didb't mean to be offensive.

19. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    As a Puerto Rican I grew up on the stuff. I can drink it like water. It's soooooo delicious!

It's an east coast company that distributes food that are ethnically latino.