Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just tried rbx374

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rashbeep, Aug 31, 2005.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    all i can say is wow.. that bass is extremely comfortable because now when i rest my thumb on the pickup it doesnt have any pain. however, the there wasnt much tonal variablity. could this be due to the controls not functioning properly? does the rbx774 have this problem as well because i might consider buying that one. and how does it stack up to the 374 in terms of comfort? will the 35" scale make much of a difference? sorry if this has been discussed before but ive done a search and couldnt find much answers to all my questions. thanks

2. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I MUCH prefer the 774 to the 374. It is just as comfortable, and seems to be able to dial in more sounds. I love the boost switch feature. The 774 is a bit "brighter" sounding, but this fits my needs fine. The quality seems to be higher on the 774 as well. I prefer the individual string bridge design it has rather than the single bridge of the 374. The 35" scale made minimal difference to me playability wise, and getting used to it took no time at all. I also think the scale contributes to its brightness.

And if the visual aspect of a bass matters to you at all, I think the 774 has a better look.....it is a bit different if you look at the two (more "sculptered" on the control side), doesn't seem as blah. The 774 also has side dots only rather than also being on the fretboard.

If you go to the Canadian Yamaha site, you can see some of the differences between the two.

Another plus is you can probably find a 774 in "like new" condition for about $100 less.

What type of music do you play?

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    +1.1756238.... ;)

I'm one of the people that jumped on the 775s when they were being clearanced out, and found the first one so "fitting" to me that a week later I bought a second to be defretted, figuring that even if it didn't work I wouldn't be out a ton of money. Well, it did work great and they're now my main players: not bad at all at 73% off list. :hyper:

But I agree with pretty much everything said above: the electronics, the additional body contouring, the hardware, the 35" scale as opposed to the 34" the 37X's have, the overall "fit 'n finish". Granted, the 37X's aren't a bad bass by any means, but when you've played its former higher-end sibling which was selling for less discounted (as well as "hardly used" on eBay from plays that bought them and didn't take to them) you realize that a better deal was missed.

4. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    thank you very much for this.. but i did notive that the 774 did not have those grooves in the pickups like the 374 did. I was a bit worried about switching to 35" scale because im only 14 and im a pretty small person (as in skinny). I would like to have bit of a john myung/billy sheehan sound so I guess brightness in sound could be what im looking for (im a noob i dont know very much about this) but i would very much like to have slap tone like the 374 as well (at least i thought it was a nice sound :smug:). and as far as looks go, the 774 looks a lot nicer than the 374 (controls :D ). one more question though, does the 774 have the same black painted neck like the 374??

5. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I liked the grooves in the pickups as well, but found that with some playing techniques, I actually benefitted from having the 774's flat edge pick up. It enabled me to be able to move the placement of my thumb a little quicker rather than having it anchored.

The 774 also has the black painted neck which worried me in the beginning, but over time I have come to realize that it does not affect my playing at all. What I mean by that is it has a silky smooth finish and not the typical "sticky" feel that some painted necks give you. Even when my hands would start to sweat, it would not slow me down or "stick".

As far as slapping, I was not happy with the 774's slapping ability. I've never tried on the 374, so I can't compare. I'm not sure if this is due to my poor slapping ability to begin with, or if it is actually the bass. The slapping tone was fine, I could just never get comfortable doing it on this bass.