Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just tried some Phil Jones stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjazz50, Oct 4, 2003.

1. For anyone in the St. Louis area who wants to try Phil Jones stuff, they have them at Fazio's on Manchester Rd. near 141. No, I don't work there. I just happened to walk in and there they were. They had the Six Pak, 9B (those were stacked), 24B, 8T, M500 (also stacked), and the Briefcase. I played a little with the basses in the store and then went home to get my bass and my rack.

I played all of them but I spent the most time with the Six Pak head running into the 9B (the head in the Six Pak is an M500). I have to say, I think it is a step up from my Demeter / Stewart / Euphonic Audio setup. The Phil Jones rig seemed to be better than mine in every way. Fuller low end, quicker attack, no harshness at all with the EQ set flat (this was with a Modulus Q6 with EMGs and roundwound strings) but still very transparent. I played my rig when I got home and compared to the Phil Jones it sounded slow, colored and harsh. I didn't have my cab there to do a side by side comparison but I brought my rack. I definitely preferred the M500. When driving the 9B with my rack, the sound was noticeably harsher in the treble and not as tight and meaty in the low end.

My overall impression was that this is what a bass amp should sound like. I think I know where my next $2000 of bass gear money is going. :D

2. Really?

I have heard nothing but great things about the Phil Jones equipment. I am going to have to try this stuff out. Now... to find some to try.

Thanks for the review.

Geoff

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Just when my g.a.s was starting to go away...
    Anyways, how loud was the M-500/9B compared to other rigs that size? What did you think of the Briefcase?

Thanks!

4. I know what you mean. I'm already thinking to my self: "Hmm... I wonder how much my gear could fetch on the used market? Hmm..." :D

I didn't really push the volume in the store but I got the feeling it could handle way more than I was giving it. According to the specs in the little info packet I picked up at the store, the 9B with the M500 could reach 117 dB at 10 ft (the M500 would put out 250W). The 9B + 6T could reach 119 dB at 10 ft (360W).

The Briefcase sounded amazingly good for it's size but nowhere near the 9B. With the EQ flat it doesn't have the low end fullness the biger cab has (no suprise there) but it is still very detailed.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    That 24B stack thing is a monsterrrrrrrrrrrrr (looks)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. It's also 180 lbs. (just the 24B) :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the review!
    There´s not a lot of info about these cabs.
    How do you think the 6T or 9B would sound with an ordinary 15" under it?

Also, how about the prices? Are they negotiable or are they like Mesa/Boogies retail=streetprice?

8. :eek: OUCH!

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    According to this graph the 9B would compare to a conventional 4x10". If that´s true it would be great. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

10. IMO, the 9B had plenty of low end on its own. Adding a 15 would probably just muddy the sound up.

I couldn't get any definite pricing info from the store. I plan on shooting an email to Luthiers Access Group.

I think that graph is actually showing power handling. One 10" speaker has the same area as 4 5" speakers, so the 16B would be a better equivalent to a 4x10. The 9B + 6T would also have about the same area as a 4x10.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played through the M500 and the big 24x5" cab and thought it smoked! I played it side-by-side with a Glockenklang amp/cab at Luthiers Access Group...the Phil Jones is definitely equal to the task!

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Has anyone had the oppourtunity to try out that $10,000 Tube head? that thing looks sick!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good stuff, cjazz,

i'd check 'em out too, but they look so farkin'
    fugly. like glorified Hartke cabs. :( i'm
    sure its all about the tone, but, yea, i'm
    pretty shallow when it comes to looks. :p

now, if they had the same polished look of the
    all tube $50,000 sucker, then we'd be talkin'.

still, you've got me really interested, if you
    preferred them over your Demeter setup!

14. Personally, I've always liked the way they look.

Jokerjkny, I know you're into lightweight rigs, so you should know that most Phil Jones stuff is pretty heavy for it's size. The 9B is about the the same size as my EA CXL-112 but weighs 78 lbs.

M500 41 lbs.
    M1000 60 lbs.

6T 51 lbs.
    8T 74 lbs.
    9B 78 lbs.
    16B 130 lbs.
    24B 180 lbs.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd like to check out the 6T. I've been playing all of my gigs with an EACXL110 and an Aggie GS112, so I was curious about the 6T. I'd love to hear that by itself, and I bet adding the EA or Aggie would only sweeten the deal.

I'd like to check out one of the bigger ones, too, but I've been spoiled by my light rig, and I don't ever see myself getting too heavy, again. There's just no point.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, one person's beauty is another's "***?"

but must be those bad memories of Jr. High battle of bands and those darn Hartke cabs!!! :meh: ;)

yea, the weight is a bit of a drag, but with regards to the 6T, the website says it only hits 50 hz? i guess for response, you trade for sheer lubby tone.