Just Trying to Chill...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really have a great group of Jazz Basses now that I have my Squier Contemporary Jazz V HH to go with my Geddy and Carvin. The funny thing is that I find myself thinking, I only need two, maybe I should get rid of one, however, I catch myself and think that if I let something go, it won’t be long before I am regretting again, like I do sometimes for my DJ5 or my Ken Smith that I traded for a Modulus Q5 back in 1998. Funny, but of all the really nice basses I ever owned, the one I miss the least is the Pentabuzz I had. It was a great bass, I absolutely loved the neck, but that fingerboard finish meant that it always sounded pretty fretless whereas a bass like Tony Franklin Precision can sound much more fretted when I want it to. I think that is why I like my defretted Yamaha with the EMG pickup so much.

Oh well, I guess I just need to play my basses and chill.:bassist:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    BrentSimons and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I need to make you my role model because you are happy with your Jazz Basses and that is that.:)

JoshS, dkelley and EatS1stBassist like this.
  4. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I am. But I’m on the hunt for one more jazz bass. I might have to beak down and have one of mine painted sparkle finish to scratch that itch.

George Dennis, Dino78 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just keep an eye open for an Adam Clayton Jazz. One will turn up eventually.

N4860 and lowdownthump like this.
  6. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    84310395-4659-4E2D-A408-BBF2F0C679ED.jpeg
    I need a splash of sparkle to make things pop around here. :snaphappy:

RColie, BOOG, Peter Torning and 4 others like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Forget the basses, I love that couch and porch!:hyper:
    Seriously, I love the basses too.:bassist:

L Anthony, MYLOWFREQ and lowdownthump like this.
  8. It would seem to me Cheese that you have a great 4 banger, a great 5 banger, and just a banger for if other folks are jumping in to play, or if conditions aren't right to take #1 or #2. Seems like a winning formula to me.

I just bought a third after saying I never would. But it's my dream bass with dream specs and it came up on the used market. I couldn't say no.

Now the conundrum is I love all 3, and I can't see how I could sell any. And basically I don't want to go through that again, so 3 is my limit. (well the 3rd hasn't arrived yet, but I expect to love it..if not, then the 2 I have are the lifers).

I spent the last few days unfollowing all bass builders and fan pages on instagram and facebook. Cause all they do is incur GAS.

31HZ, Dr. Cheese and lowdownthump like this.
  9. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Tell us more . What’s in the stable and what’s coming ?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Matt Freeman Sig is still there.
    USA Fender Jaco Sig is the most recent flame.
    This is incoming;

140635213_411624496764333_8652212747756676281_n.jpg

11. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    That’s a nice 3rd. They all bring something different to the table. I vote keep all 3.

nonohmic and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. Thanks, that's all the encouragement I need haha.

But you're right. A 24 fretter, an amazing fretless, and of course a P. That's all I need. I can't see myself ever buying a fiver.

Actually, in thinking about if I could sell the MF I did think about your situation and how many have come and gone but your CV60s P remains!

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Roscoe!

lowdownthump and nonohmic like this.
  14. :D:D:D yep, feeling very fortunate to find it and be in a position to nab it.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you look, you will indeed lust.:smug:
    The thing that constrains me is that I know my limits, and frankly I am looking at retirement in maybe six years if things go ideally. I want to go into retirement with minimal overhead so I can enjoy life a while. I do not want to needlessly tie up money in hobbies.

Rabidhamster and lowdownthump like this.
  16. Or time to start planning your retirement present to youself? ;)

dabbler, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For sure, getting something really nice right before or right after retirement makes way more sense if the bills are at zero.

lowdownthump and nonohmic like this.
  18. Doc, it seems we're alike in that we both need to chill out about the things we own.

Time spent playing will never cost anything more than your time and attention.

dabbler, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    True wisdom!

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Might I recommend a Telecaster? GAS don't stop just because you like your basses. Ramp it up and get a guitar, too. And an amp. And some pedals. And some picks. Post pics.

eJake and George Dennis like this.