Just Turbo-chaged my Thumb...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 19, 2005.

1. Didn't really know where to post this but I just added a Shack 3-band EQ to my ol' Warwick Thumb NT and it's pretty hot, sooooooo much more signal now and a world of new sounds from my old bass beauty.

I stuck with the MEC pups as they still do the job - and while it's a way off sounding like a Mike Pope etc - it's a vast improvement on the basic, skinny, little MEC circuit board that it's had all these years...I'd love to hear any thoughts on this subject - and I heartily recommend up grading if you need MORE POWER!

I did some recording straight after and it was kicking serious bootage - I'll post some clips when I get the CD back...

2. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I've been thinking about an aguilar preamp with Bartolini's in my fretless. Hmmm, that's funny, I'm a thumb sixer that lives in London... Does that make us "Thumb Brothers?" ;)
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Mke! Nice work! I'm thinking of throwing a J retro and some SD hot stacks in my thumb. The EMGs aren't doing it for me. Maybe I'll add a few more unique touches.
  4. Dude, it's so great - the treble is just zingy as hell for more slappy stuff - but it's the finger style power I wanted and I got it - it's just so full-on I have to use so much lower volume on my amps now as it's finally got a signal that really has a ton of head-room to play with - and it hasn't taken anything away from the original sound of the bass - it's just added a load more.

I'll post some tunes or something soon

5. I don't think Bartolini pups would make that much difference as well as an Aguilar pre - I've read a lot of views here - most seem to think the Barts would be too mellow a sound for a Wick - I think the circuit alone would probably be enough - but it's obviously a personal choice - do what you want - I'm loving the improvements on my bass. I'll drop you a PM - maybe we can do some Warwick jams sometime?

6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Sounds great - will it be seeing action at the Effra on Sunday?
  7. I use a schack 3 band with my Bart P6's and find it very versitile with a powerful signal. It is an 18v one but it is suprisingly frugle on batteries.

I particularly like the internal DIP switches which enable you to set the bass, mid and treble parameters. I have to add that it was due to some good advice here on TB which helped me with the DIPS.

8. Martin at The Gallery set the DIPS for me as he knows the circuit a hell of a lot better than I - and the results so far are sounding great - and yes Davey B - I'll be using it there soon - not sure about Sunday for definite but I'll let you know if I'm going this weekend.

Cheers peeps

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have had great success using the Aguilar pre with my Warwick basses. I feel the MECs are just fine but the MEC pre is really masking the overall tone. With the Aguilar there is a more overall cleaner signal, plus I found the bass control to be more useable. Anyways glad your upgrade did the trick for you. I'm not too familiar with the Shack preamp (sorry in the dark with this one). Can you give some more details about this pre?
  10. I'll see if I can get a full set of specs and post them - it's made a vast improvement overall is all I can tell you right now - I need to play with it some more!

11. goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    so how much money for schack ? i was tinking of changeing the preamp for my thumb , but i don't which one ... maybe agilar or schack if i find it anywhere...
    did you have to add an aditonal pot for middle ?
  12. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    can u take pics of the install????
  13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I think you mean a U-retro. I don't know if I'd want a U-retro in my thumb, it's not as aggresive as the current thumb pre-amp.
  14. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Here's some info from the Bass Gallery's site:
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's what I meant.
  16. As ever David - impeccable and resourceful with the online linkage - that's about all you'd see if I took a pic - the EQ is just a stacked pot as is the bass and treble - and then there's the excitement of the volume knob as well - crazy! It's a killer circuit and it's really brought out a whole new side to the bass - the mids are still punchy as hell but the versatility has been quadrupulled (sp?) - all in I paid 150 quid.

17. Hi, here's another Thumb 6'er reporting in :hyper:

I'm always up for some turbo chargin', you got any pictures of the circuit? I'd love to see it... :D