Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just upgraded the Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmkelly, Mar 16, 2002.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I finally took the plunge and picked up an Ampeg B4R to take over for my SWR 4004... and the SWR is promptly going on sale! I really liked the SWR sound that I was getting, but I really really really like the Ampeg so much better... I'm running it with a single 410 right now, hopefully by middle of next month I can end up with another 410... perfect for the upcoming shows with the new band! I've already had it at rehearsal twice, and played with it shortly around the house, so when I get a better feel for it, I will get a little more specific with a review.... but for the time being it is all I needed and more! Great Amp!

:D

P@

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Cool!!!!!!!!!!
    Waiting for the gig review....

3. hmmm, why not get a 1x15 or (if you can find one) a used ampeg 1x18? why 4 more tens?

just wondering

Greg

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I keep trying to find a 15 that I really like, but I just think they all get to "boomy" for me.... and i really like the response from the 10's... Also, I can get basically a nice 810 rig, and it's a hell of a lot easier to tote 2 410's then 1 810...

P@

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Welcome to the club. I love my B4R. Don't be so sure that toting 2 410's is easier than an 810. I use the 610hlf and it loads alot easier than the 410/118 setup I was using. Instead of lifting the cabs into my truck I just tilt it back and slide it in:D Going up stairs is a little tricky though. I usually get some help with that.

6. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    how much for the 4004?

:D

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've thought about going to a 610 setup... what do you think about 'em? I would assume they kick butt, because the 410hlf are killer, but I've never played the 610. So what's it like?

P@

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well.... I can't compare the 610hlf to the 410hlf because I've never heard the 410hlf. I have read on TB that the 410hlf has more low end than the 610. The 610 has plenty though. I have played through the 410he and the 610hlf has lot's more low end. other than that it sounds about what you'd expect from an Ampeg classic series cab.