Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just venting!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jippedo21, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Jippedo21

Jippedo21

Feb 17, 2005
    So i dowloaded a video of Vic Wooten playing a bass solo and i thought it was hella cool, when my band came over to jam i showed it too them and they got all pissed off and were like "what the hell is this" and "where is the band" "wow this guys sucks cause he has no band" and when i tried to tell them it was just a solo they got even more angry and were like that was way too long for a bass solo i gotta tell u i almost just dumped all them and started over with a new band.

I gotta tell ya every time i show anyone anything cool with the bass like Vic Wooten or Jaco guitar players get insane. I think that guitar players hate anyone who is really good at bass.

Why is it ok to have a 30-40min. guitar solo but not a 5 min bass solo.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! :mad:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Welcome to the world of most bassists, enjoy your stay.

Ray

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    :D Truer words never spoken. Get used to it. (Although I find most guitarists are impressed by Billy Sheehan solos, as he sometimes sounds like a guitarist)

Graeme

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Its just the opposite for me. My guitarist is always telling me to solo. Ofcourse he actually likes guys like Victor and Jaco. When I played the video of Victor doing Amazing Grace he was blown away. Go figure!

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, I have been blessed with two guitarists in my current project who LOVE bass and everything about it, and are blown away with bass solos. But in general, finding one who remotly understands is hard...

Ray

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sounds like you have a good overall like of different cool music....Wooten and Jaco are monsters!!! It sounds like they are close minded and stupid. Who do you think has a better chance of becomming a better musician?

7. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    I just started, but thanks for the warning, now I know what to expect.

8. I don't get the whole bass solo thing. I remember seeing Stanley on TV when I was a kid. I thought it was amazing, technically, but it did nothing for me. Sort of like King Diamond singing. Yeah, it's impressive that you've got the ability and mastered the art of doing it- but it's just not my bag, baby.

If I were in a rock band, I wouldn't want a bass solo. I also wouldn't want a guitar "solo" (guitar alone- no accompaniment) either. I guess I'm just more of a song oriented person rather than instrumental or individual.

I'm not saying it's bad, or that anyone who likes playing or listening to solos is silly or anything- it's just not my thing.

9. Welcome to TB!!

I see your point. Just because an instrument can go in the higher registers, it's okay to use it for soloing, but not an instrument that's in the low register? Rather narrow minded, and short sided. How boring would it be to listen to a group and only hear some shrill, whiney sounding guitar filling in all the spots? I MUCH more like hearing the tone of a good bass solo, such as from the likes of Wooten and Jaco [as well as many others].

Guitar solos :spit: