Just Visited Bass Central - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I went to Bass Central yesterday, and will probably go back before my vacation is over. I thought I would share some thoughts. I had been wanting to try out some basses that we just don't get to see in Cincy. I only played a few 4 strings. I'm a 4 string guy.

Sadowsy Metro - Beautiful bass with the sunburst and mint green guard. Not impressed with the bass at all. You would have to give me two of them to get my T-Bass from me, and then it would be a fist fight. I don't get the hype about these things. Tone was blah, playability was below average at best. Neck felt good, construction was good, just sounded plain (sounded weak compared to my T-Bass).

Mike Lull - Holy cow! I don't know how anybody could play the Sadowsky and the Lull and not take the Lull. I believe it was a V4. Swamp Ash with Birdseye fretboard. This thing was incredible. Action was great, tone was fat, construction was top notch. The only thing that would take some getting used to would be the neck. It is thicker and fatter than a standard jazz. Not bad, just different. Wicked bass.

Used Fodera VW Signature - OK, I have always said that no bass is worth that much money. With that said, I am figuring out where I can get $4500. I get the Fodera thing now. This bass was the nicest bass I have ever played - Hands Down! The feel was unreal, and It could get any tone possible.

The Staff - Top notch. Gard was a busy guy, so I left him alone for the most part. Grasshopper is a very nice guy. He was very gracious and playful with my 10 month old. Very kid friendly, and he was real helpful in giving us directions to avoid Orlando rush hour. Saved us a half hour at least.

I'll report back after I go again. There were a couple of basses I wanted to check out.
  2. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Did you try any Laklands?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope to make it down there someday myself.

I am moving this to the Miscellaneous forum.
  4. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Grasshopper is a great guy. Went there to buy 1 pack of strings, he took time to get to know me and show me around. I have never felt more welcome in any music store as I was in Bass Central. Just walk in the door, talk about major G.A.S.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think you better cut your credit card in half, you are
    dead meat otherwise.

Your willingness to pay just took a quantum leap.

After putting that Fodera in your hands, they didn't have to
    sell you. They already knew you were gonna be out on the
    corner in a short skirt and go-go boots flagging down cars till
    you had the $4500 price tag made. :eek: :D
  6. Yeah, we walked in and my wife even said "woooooow"! She was a big fan of the buckeye Fodera VW.

I didn't try any Laklands. I had played some before. The ones I am hoping to check out still are: Ken Smith (even though it was a 5, it was gorgeous), Alembic Mark King, Dingwall, US Spector, Status (anoter 5, but it was gorgeous, and I love my T-Bass made by them), and some others.
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Glad to hear you liked the Lull! :smug: If it had a figured top, then it was a M4. If it had vintage appointements (chrome control plate, pickguard, etc.), then it would have been a M4V. Good to hear you had fun playing all of those high-end basses. ;)
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I visited BC in the fall when I was in Florida visiting my daughter. Gard and the guys are top notch. I think my favorite instock basses at that time were an Elrick 5er (dont know much about em, but it was beautiful and sounded incredible), a dark blue Zon Sonus 5, and an INCREDIBLE Dingwall 5 string. It was another one like you described the Fodera....I didn't think any bass was worth that much, until I played it.
  9. Crhoton, I share your impressions of the basses you played at Bass Central. I had a nearly identical experience recently at the Atlanta Bass Gallery, especially with the Lull -- TB's own bassmonkeee was there, and he said I had that look on my face where he thought he better take the bass away from me.
    I haven't been to BC in a while.. but I remember being absolutely blown away by the USA Lakland Joe Osborn and a fretless Roscoe 5-string. The staff, as you said, is top-notch. Gard makes it up to Atlanta now and then for a bass get-together, and he's brought some tasty treats with him, including a Fodera Vic Wooten bolt-on that had me thinking about selling a kidney.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think I am beginning to spot a real solution ...

Ask Gard if they take trades ...
  11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Now you see why I only buy new instruments from BC, as well as why I own a Fodera. I too could never imagine paying the price until Gard handed me one from the wall...
  12. KeithPas

May 16, 2000

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Chris, sorry I wasn't able to hang more, but as you saw, it was a bit hectic in the shop.

I'm glad that 'Hopper was able to help you out, he's a good dude, and man, he knows them Fedoras...er.....not hats!...Foderas!

I do hope you're able to stop back in again, and this time, I will try to find a bit more time to stare in awe at the nuts stuff you're playing....

....trust me I WAS listening, and you are SMOKIN' :D
  14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, that mike lull is awesome. one string short, though! :D
  15. I'm hoping I can make it back in on Monday. 11:00 check-out, and 7:00P flight, so I'm hoping I can convince my wife to come back.

I was trying to play very quietly. The last thing I want to do if embarass myself in front of you guys. You are too kind with your words . . . just trying to make a sale, I know ;) . . . just kidding.

I want to play that Mike Lull again! And of course the Fodera's.