Just Vote On A Cab That Will Suit My Sound And This Head Best

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Hartke

3 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg

9 vote(s)
  3. SWR

5 vote(s)
  4. Avatar

10 vote(s)
  1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    i'm getting that behringer bx3000 everyone's been talking about. so i need a cab, preferably 4x10. i play mostly metal and classical. and here's my most used techniques: 60% pick, 30% tap, 10% fingers. so obviously i'd like something that can deliver some punch here's the amp and the choices:

the amp:

hartke vx410:

ampeg bse410hlf:

swr 4x10t:

2. If money is any sort of issue, get the avatar. Great quality and durability. If money is not an issue, any of those three will do fine ( I prefer the SWR )
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    A few questions...

Is money an object? Avatar's a great bargain, but my understanding is that they do not have a particularly strong bass response, which of course will make it harder to get good metal tones. Hartke also makes solid bargain cabs.

When you say classical, I'm assuming that you mean you play classic rock. If you can afford something a little nicer than Hartke or Avatar (personal preference notwithstanding), then I'd recommend Ampeg over SWR for metal and classic rock. SWR cabs are more transparent relative to the signal coming from your head, whereas Ampeg cabs add a sizeable bump in your lower frequency range. I'm not a big Ampeg fan myself, but for your styles, I'd say that Ampeg's gonna be the best from that list.
  4. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    sorry i didn't specify a few things. i kind of summed up two kinds of music by saying classical. yes i play a lot of classic rock but also classical like bach or beethoven. anyways, usually i would have gone straight for that hartke cab because of the price but since the head is so cheap i figure i could spend more money on a cab. here's my plan, the head is just temporary, but then i would like the cab to be high quality because i plan on building up from the cab and making a nice fullstack. bassically i'd like to eventually replace the head with a better one, (hopefully the same brand of the cab i get). then i'll get a 1x15 cab and eventaully a tube emualting preamp. so ANYWAYS, i hear david ellefson of megadeth used hartke cabs, i definately liked his tone and punch. so here's my new thought: the HARTKE cab OR the SWR?
  5. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    I'd go for the 4x10hlf (make sure it's HLF), I've been wanting one for quite a while now, but i don't have the dough to get one...

It covers the entire range of 4x10 + some deep and gut-moving hlf ==> warm en deep, with tweeter!

Pretty expensive, but a keeper
  6. May I suggest The Genz Benz GB410T-XB2?

There's a virtuoso cat in my town that plays a Jerzy Drozd 5-er through one of these and it is probably one of the most 'complete' cabinets I've ever heard.

Here are the dealers in Texas.
  7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Whatever cab you buy I'd make sure to take a portion of your budget and put it towards a fire extinguisher for the inevitable day the the Behringer decides to help you with your smoke show.
  8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    alright, thanks i'll be sure to do that.;) actually the first behringer i bought, the bx1200, burned out on me after two day of use. hopefully this one won't follow that reputation. anyways, i see the ampeg is winning the poll, but i am favoring the swr beacuse when i eventually replace the behringer head i'd like something by swr, i'm not very interested in ampeg heads at the moment. but i must say that genz benz looked interesting, what do you guys think of that cab? would it be a better purchase then swr or ampeg?
  9. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Reading your post sounds that you use a pick for most of the stuff you do. IME solid mids help you cut through the distorted guitars and drums best. I'm not familiar w/ the Behringer head or Hartke cabs. I voted for Ampeg's cabs. I use the BXT410HL cab. For bigger stages I'll take 2 but most the time I use one. They're 122 lbs each, but I really like their tone. I've seen a few used ones on ebay. Ampeg's Classic series cabs are less expensive and sound great. I've owned a few SWR cabs that I liked also, so SWR would be my second choice. SWR cabs are constantly for sale on ebay. My third choice(not listed) is the Eden D410XLT cab, they might be a bit pricey, but they're well worth it. Once again, check ebay for a good deal on one. If you plan on eventually replacing the Behringer head, why not find a used power amp by Crown, QSC, Crest, etc. with 700 watts per side into 4 Ohms? Then find a used preamp like the Alembic F-1X, Ampeg SVP-Pro, Sansamp RBI, etc. and go with a rackmounted system. In the long run the added expense will pay for itself as I believe you won't need to go amp shopping for a long, long time.

Just my 2 cents. A.P.
  10. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    yes, i use a pick a lot, and i have narrowed it down to the ampeg or swr. i have looked into that eden you mentioned and altough i have been interested in them for a while i'm not yet considering it. but anyone, i like the idea of the rack. with the crown power amp you mentioned, i would probally accompany it with a sansamp rbi, but where can i buy racks at to put that in?
  11. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    If you're looking for something that won't let you down, and have plenty of deep, punchy bass, go for the Ampeg 410HLF. I tried one once and was completely blown away by its low end and volume. The "B" series Ampegs are great cabs for the money.

That particular Hartke will fart at higher volume. I played one at Mars before they closed down with a Spector 5 and it sounded great at low volume, though through a 300watt head..

I've never tried the Avatar route, but am deperately wanting to pick up a 112 from them. The reviews on all their stuff has been incredible.

Hope I could shed a little insight for you there.
  12. What's the deal with Behringer? My goodness - $200.

I admit to being baffled at how cheap they are, and assume "made in China" for $0.31 / hour ... but even with "free" labor, and assuming some shipping costs plus a little profit for both the dealer and the importer, perhaps $125 as a "cost" to manufacturer overseas - how much quality can they really put in?
  13. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I've had my rack for many years, I believe it's a Grundorf or something to that effect. It's a standard wooden rack covered in black ozite "carpet". I'd suggest you check out SKB's racks. They're more lightweight and I'm sure they're stocked by most music stores. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand of cab you're interested in. Of course, put each cab through a vigorous workout before you make your final decision. Keep checking ebay for Crown amps, your fav preamp, and whichever cab you decide on. I'm confident you'll love having a rackmount setup.

Best wishes, A.P.

P.S. I'm selling my 6 month old SWR I.O.D. preamp. If anyone's interested, PM me.
  14. I have the 6x10 XB2 cab and will not do without it. The GB 4x10 and 2x12 cabs are also top-notch. If Genz was listed on the poll I would have definitely voted for them. Otherwise the Ampeg gets my vote (by default). Try the Genz.