Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just wanna say...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Oct 22, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I just bought the new LB cd and I am psyked again! Sam is layin down some sweet new basslines y'all. He has gotten a lot more melodic. check it out..... peace...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The papers in the UK weren't too complimentary; here's a typical quote :

"Why's everybody always picking on me?" snivels Fred Durst on "Full Nelson", apparently without irony. Well, Fred, it could be your group's second-hand metal riffs, your peevish nihilistic whining, your laughable flirtation with 80s New Romanticism, your ugly tattoos and backward baseball cap, or the suspicion that your persona is just a front for a drab, corporate careerist. Any other questions?

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Ouch... now THAT'S what I call a burn. =)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, that's Vice President of Interscope Records careerist to you , buddy! :D

5. I'm not a big Lim Bisket fan. But I like some of the songs of there new album. Sam Rivers did a fine job, but thats my oppinion.

6. Steady on Bruce!

I've never actually heard Limp Biskit, I see that whassisname's on the front of bassplayer this month, vaguely interesting interview, I'm gonna have to check out the album. Then I'll get back to ya...

I have to say that Mission Impossible track had an awfeul lyric that put me off LB for life: "...microphone abuser...". What an utter c*ckmaster! It must be said that there are very few white people who can rap and that guys not one of 'em!

BTW Bruce, nothing wrong with second-hand metal riffs - all the best rock bands play em!

...as well as my band!

7. Bruce Lindfield

I didn't say it - I've never heard anything by the band except the MI theme/soundtrack which sounds a bit "careerist" to me. The quote was from the "Observer" - I just thought it was quite pithy! ;)

8. Yeah t'was!

Nothing like a good media slagging is there!

Thank God I'm not famous...doh!

9. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    F=ck, I'm tired of you guys. every f=ckin time i write something about someone I LiKE you guys jump in and say whatever i like sucks and isn't a "real bassist" like its some kinda great thing to be. This sh=t really aint that hard to do. I'm getting bored with this site and the mindset of everyone else that is a member. I dont wanna hear your negative sh=t any f-ckin more. I'm out.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No need to leave Wes. Next time, just make your post and ask that the thread be closed immediately ;)

Sometimes it easier to talk about what people don't like as opposed to what they do. Some people like LB...some don't. Don't let it bother you.

11. Bruce Lindfield

I have no opinion either way, but if I'm going to check something out, then I need a "REASON" - there are vast numbers of CDs out there to choose from and I've been helped on a number of occasions by people on this board to find CDs that I've subsequently liked - even one I didn't, but that's not a bad ratio! ;)

Just saying "I like it" isn't going to convince anybody - music critics' jobs would be pretty easy if this was the case. ;) The thing is you have to involve your audience and say something they can relate to - otherwise as Brad says, you might as well just post and close the thread.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey Borland, if you at least posted threads about other bassist than Sam, it would be different.
    I have seen at least 5 of your threads and it´s all about sam (or fieldy or whatever) there are lot´s of really good bassist. I like sam, but people here trend to go "hey we only like Jaco and stuff" (i love all classic stuff too)
    I try to listen to every type of music and it´s all good.

if you can´t take critics maybe you should start listening what they are all telling instead of getting pissed, sometimes they would tell you some good recomendations.

peace

13. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    NO! JACO IS THE ONLY BASSIST EVER! THERE IS NO OTHER! NANANANANAN!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

=) Seriously, though, I think that most of us are pretty open-minded about new bassists. I don't like Limp Bizkit, either (just another band that pretends to be pissed off because their lives "suck"... ho-hum), but I'll say this about this Sam Rivers guy: he's at least better than Fieldy.