1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just wanna share a fun, refreshing highlight from my last bass lesson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LadyThunder, Aug 26, 2012.

1. LadyThunder

LadyThunder

Jun 12, 2012
    my lesson before this past one, my teacher asks me what my favorite song is cuz he wants to introduce me to ear training next time. unable to choose a favorite song, i tell him i'll make a playlist on my ipod and we'll give it a listen next time to pick out a song from there that would be good for me... since i am still very much a beginner at bass playing.

at my lesson yesterday morning, we listen to bits of different songs on my playlist. he liked "rolling in the deep" since the bass line is straight eighth notes for the most part and the tempo is not too fast at all. as we're working through it, he asks me (in all seriousness, he was NOT kidding when he asked this!), what band is this? i simply tell him it's a singer named adele. a lil' while later after writing out some tabs for me and wanting to label the page he wrote on, asks me, what's the name of this song? again, he was not kidding.

i genuinely thought it was more cool than it was amusing that he didn't know the artist and the name of the song. dude is in his early 50s or so, so it's not like he's a total geezer!

2. As you really get out into the world of music, you will see this much much more. There are so many different genes, bands, and styles out there that many people people don't ever listen to. I am just like your teacher, only younger. I am 19 and had no idea who Adele, Lady Gaga, Niki Manji, or Kayne West were until I saw them on T.V. or heard their songs in a friends car. Just because a new song comes out and goes to #1, doesn't mean everyone knows about it. That is one of the great things about music, there is always much more to share. It can act as a bond between two people that has nothing else in common.

3. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I had no idea about Adele until my son and wife introduced me to her. And this is over a year since she has been winning awards and such. Now I like about 50% of her album.
    As a caveat: I am 9 years older than my wife and stuck in the late 70's & early eighties now. :eyebrow:

4. LadyThunder

LadyThunder

Jun 12, 2012
    i'm kinda the same way, though, to a smaller degree. i don't listen to the radio anymore and only really hear new-ish music that plays through the p.a. system at my job. every once in awhile something will stick to me and i end up liking it a lot.

5. I am willing to bet that there are literally 100's of songs that your teacher knows that you have never heard. I am often amused when my younger co-workers don't know of artists that are in fact legendary, just not popular at the moment.

I find myself actually rediscovering artists or songs I have listened to years ago because the music is that good. I was surprised the other day when my Daughter played a compilation of Old School Funk she had down loaded. You should ask your teacher to suggest a few songs you could learn.

6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, when Adele sang Rolling in the Deep, she meant Cheeze Whiz.

7. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Not counting stuff that gets submitted to me for review, I mostly find out about new artists when I hear them on tv shows. I was blissfully inorant about adele, gaga, etc for a long time.

8. Heh heh.... I only just found out about Billy Currington a couple of weeks ago. Went to Youtube, and one of his songs has over 6 million views. I'm blissfully ignorant of so much. Also just found Robbie Fulks. Wonderful artist....

Gaga, Minaj etc not my cuppa tea.