Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just want to say thank you!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Flatbass11, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    I'm new to the URB world and I've been agonizing over how to ampify it.

I've been reading everyones posts, seeing what choices they have made in amps, speakers, pickups, etc, and trying to make the right choice for myself.

A big consideration was the time I had available to actually shop for the equiptment. So for me it came down to what could I get that was recommended versus what was available for me to hear locally.

So, I asked some local shops to order some recomended amps(Clarus, Eden WT400) and speakers(Bergantino, Bag end, Eden cxc series) and I set out to make a choice. Well, all the research I did went right out the window in some respects.

I ended up with a Yorkville(!) BM400 head and a Bergantino 112 cab. I knew the reputation the campany has in regard to the Traynor line they had. Decent stuff that's well made, but very, I guess, plain. Sort of the Carvin of Canada.

Well, the amp sounds great. It's like you took a power amp and put a parametric EQ on it. It's as nuetral as you want it to be. It also has a contour switch that scoops the sound that is almost perfect for URB. It's built like a tank, has plenty of power for EB, and is reasonably priced. The Bergantino sounds full and sweet. When I tried the Clarus, it just didn't have the flexibility the Yorkville does.

So anyway, I want thank all of you for your advice, because without it, I don't think I could have made such an informed choice in a short amount of time.

2. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Wow! Interesting choice. I still own a Yorkville 400 that I've used with electric and never even thought of using it for upright. I always liked the way it sounded and I'm about to sell it to a gentleman in Witchita. Good luck.

3. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    Thanks Abaguer,

I was actually interested in your choice for a rig, the Clarus and Acme B1. Unfortunately I needed to trade gear in order to afford what I bought, so I had to go to a dealer, therefore no mail order only Acme B1.

The dealer had the Bergantino 112 in stock, so I went with it. I have a feeling that cab will make anything sound good!

I'm also using a K&K preamp which helps the Yorkville alot. For a pickup I'm using a Realist.

How is your rig doing?

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Hi
    I'm also using the K&K w/Realist and also like it a lot. I'm diggin' the Clarus B1 combination although like most people I wish the Clarus had just a little more output but it's been plenty loud for what I've been doing lately. Take care.