Just wanted to clarify some wording in an elementary rudiments text.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fr0me0, Mar 16, 2006.

1. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'm working my way through Barbara Wharram's Elementary Rudiments of Music text book. I'm currently on Minor Scales.

There is an exercise that says "write the following scales in the treble clef, assending and desending, using the correct key signature for each. Use whole notes.

So it has 3 staffs.

"Ab Major"

"is relative minor, harmonic"

"its tonic minor melodic"

now the last one. Do you think its reffering to the first staff's tonic? So do a Ab minor melodic scale. or do you think its reffering to the second staff, and I'd be doing an F Minor melodic scale? I have a feeling its reffering to the first staff and I"d be doing Ab minor, but I just thought I'd double check to see what everyone thinks.

2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Its seems like every theory book I've heard of has a few little items that are called something different. In this case I think I'd write an Ab Major scale, 2nd staff a f minor scale (in harmonic form) and the 3rd staff an Ab minor (in harmonic form).

If she is using terms like this it would seem that she is referencing the scales in terms of major. Many books do this so its nothing unusual. Some people just think of MAJOR as the starting point to understanding theory and that deviations of that (minor, mixolydian, etc, etc) are alterations of the major. Other people think that a Lydian scale and tonality can exist outside of any relation to major.

Potato, potahto.. its all just notes and an understood system of organization.
  3. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    cool thanks man just wanted to double check