1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just wanted to express my gratitude

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by wrench45us, Mar 22, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I jumped into walking bass without a whole lot of preparation. I've been at it about a year and half now.

Nothing really came together in a way where I could actually sense that I'd be able to build my own lines on the fly till I used Todd Johnson's Vol 1 and 2.

But my greatest praise goes to the full tunes section at the back of Vol 2. I've been on 'Autumn Leaves' for a few months now. And I don't really mind. There's a wealth of information and musical information in those 4 pages. Some days I'll play what's written an octave up or down or reverse the order so if a bar starts up, I'll go down and and vice versa.
    There are a lot of books and exercises available, but nowhere have I found such a concentrated well thought out and musical lesson. There are times when I can hear the sequence of what's being taught and it really begs for me to start improvising. A lot of books, esp. once they get to where not every bar has to start on 1, just sound like someone went for a random order and I can't hear how the sequence connects to much of anything. Brilliantly not the case with the pages I've been working on.

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm thrilled my books/DVD/Videos are helping you realize your potential.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of further service!!