Just wanted to share: New Rig... FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by comfortstarr, Feb 17, 2004.

1. In the past 24 hours I did a 180 and cancelled my order on a GK400RB.

I found a new iAMP 350 and bought it, along with an Aguilar GS112, from Bass Central in FL. I'll be playing my G&L L2000 Signature through it--hell, I might get a pick-up for my Martin D-15 and play that through it too. It'll be used for recording and hopefully some low-key gigging.

I'd gone back and forth over what to get for several months (expensive: mesa, eden, iAMP, et al vs. cheaper: GK, Yorkville, Peavey, et al). I'd finally decided to go cheap and bought the GK. Then... I said to myself, "I'm no longer 21, I can afford to buy something a little more special than the GK."

I'll be getting it soon and I think, though I paid more than I'd decided to pay for a small set-up, I'm getting really good value.

Any other iAMP350 owners out there, feel free to chime in with you success/happiness stories (I don't often spend this kind of jake and I need encouragement!).

Anyways, I'll let you'all know my impressions are in a week or so. Also, tips for telling my wife what I spent are welcome.

Thanks for listening
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000

With regard to your last question...I don't tell her...I let AmEx do the dirty work. When cornered I remind her that I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, golf, have a girlfriend, a sailboat or a sports car.

Doesn't help a bit :D

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    All I can say about the iAMP is :D
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    If the iAmp350 has the same tonal character as the iAmp800 I heard on www.basstasters.com, I think you hit a home run! if you want to really get things going, add a second Aguilar GS112 later if the iAmp350 will drive a 4 ohm load? How much power is the iamp350 rated at?
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Great choice! The more I use it the more I love my Iamp 500. I've done a few gigs since buying it a couple weeks ago and the warm tone, clarity and versatility provided by the EQ is phenomenal. Works great for upright and electric bass. The leader of this pop band I play in likes a super warm round tone and the Iamp nails it but at the same time is still clear, tight and true to the sound of my bass. With other amps I would have mud problems in certain rooms- not so with the Iamp. I frikin love this lil bugger.
  6. Below are the specs, I'm guessing with the aggie it'll be closer to 200 watts of output. That's enough for me for now, like you said, I can add another 12 later if I want/need.

Frequency Response: 20Hz to20kHz ±3dB

Power Output: 250 watts @ 8 ohms, 350 watts @ 4 ohms

Size: 8.8cm H x 34.29cm W 28cm D. Rack mounting ears available.

Weight: 7kg.
  7. So, after playing through the iAMP 350/Aggie GS112 for several hours yesterday, I'm officially very happy.

Understand, the last bass rig I owned was a GK 400RB from 1988 with two homemade 1X15s.

I can say that the iAMP has a ton more flexibility in terms of tone. I was expecting it to be mostly a clean amp, but it can growl fairly well (that might be something the cab adds to as well). I ran the line out and did some recording and that sounded great as well: post eq I was hearing the amp, pre-eq I was hearing the bass (G & L L2000).

The cab is a wonder. Technology has advanced in my years away from the music. This 1x12 can really put some nice audio--and right now, I'm under-powering it (the iAMP is 350 at 4 ohms, this is an 8 ohm cab).

One question for owners of these cabs: what do you set them on? It's a small box and sits really low. Any recommendations on getting it off the floor?

Anyhow, I think Bass Central has a few more of the iAMP 350s around, I recommend them highly (the amp and the dealer, they were cool).