Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just wanted to share this story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Macron69, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    I remember a couple of years ago we were recording a couple of songs at this studio . One saturday night we got there and started prepping up for recording drums and bass. So while the studio engineer was do in that my vocalist picks up my bass and starts playing something when all of a sudden he he plucks the Gstring and it breaks. “ No biggie” I said to him, since I wasn;t going to use much of it for the session anyways. 5 minutes later I’m tuning and the Astring breaks too. “Damn it, now I’ll have to play all those notes using the Estring”. Just as I have already planned out the new phrasing and connected the bass to the DI the Estring says byebye too! To make things worse that was my only bass at the time and I had no spare strings; I’ve used them all up on gigs and I’ve never before had my strings break during a performance, only at practices and stuff.

So there was like this calm tension building up since the studio engineer already started and were already charging us, so we just couldn’t cancel the session. Then we started brainstorming for solutions. It was too late in the night and all music stores were closed. So we started calling some friends of ours to ask if we could borrow their bass but couldn’t find anyone, since it was Saturday night and they were all on gigs. Even the engineer offered us some help. Finally, I remembered this airhead dude from college who used to play at the college band. He owns an American Jazz bass V but can’t play a single note on it, y’know the kinda guy who owns really cool gear but barely uses it . Thing is I didn’t have any way to reach him. Luckily for me my vocalist had his cell phone(that’s another story, promise I’ll share later). We called him and he responded and came to my rescue with his beautiful JazzV. I used it on the session and it was a pretty awesome bass. You can really tell the difference and which song used which bass. The rest of the night was pretty fun and started cracking jokes(mostly on me) since the worst already passed. The engineer even charged us only for the time we started recording and omitted the delay time looking for the bass since he felt sorry for me and the owner of the studio wasn’t around to know what happened. They told me to chill and all, since I was still bummed down by all the trouble I made*sniff* . but later I felt alright again.

In the end everything went ok. but dude that one one huge “PHEW!”

2. Didn't the studio have a spare bass you could use?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Daaaaaaaaaaaang, and to think, I've never broken a string *knocks on wood*. Cool story though :smug:.

Ray

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all.

Glad things worked out in the end. :)

5. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    No they didn't. That's another thing i learned next time i shop around rec studios: stock instruments.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's why I never plan on having less than two basses on hand in any given situation.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    All the trouble YOU made? It was the vocalist who jinxed it in the first place! :)

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    My band mates know better than to mess with my gear unless they want me messing up their gear :)

I let one of my band mates goof around but he knows how I am about all my stuff so it's alright...you let your vocalist touch your bass? First mistake :p

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The last time I bought a D'Addario XL 5-string set (not because I like them but because it was all I could find a saturday afternoon), 2 of them broke within the first week. I put them before a gig on saturday, broke the G on tuesday at rehearsal (replaced it with a spare one I had) and broke the D during the recording of a TV show at Music Country (during the next to last song). The drummer didn't notice so we didn't cut and so I recorded the last song without my D string (and my bass a little out of tune). So this is why it was my LAST TIME EVER with D'Addario. :(

ANDRUCA

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The first time I ever went into a studio I learned two things: always bring a spare instrument, and never let the drummer try overdubs!

11. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    That could make for some amusing situations.

Eg. grocery shopping, romantic dinners...

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Rockbag double gig bag! Never leave home without it!

ANDRUCA

13. How do you guys manage to break bass strings? :eek: :confused:

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man if i broke more than one string in a weeks time period i would think the gods were mad at me or somthing. Make sure youre bridge is smooth. Need to find the reason youre strings r breaking!

15. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Hey, you're absolutely right.

16. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I've been playing bass for about 4 years and My basses have only had two strings broken on them, and one of the times it was the gutiarist from one of my bands. I dont know how people can break bass strings so often. I've been giving this guy pointers for a while and when I went to see his band plat he broke his E string. I was shocked. I didn't even think that was possible.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've broken a D and an E. Say, metal band -> pick -> great performance, means playing hard. Bye bye Dstring. The E was what I found out was a 10 year old roundwound, untouched. I went to try out a Kahler trem and it snapped.